Opening money 98/99 in Sunset RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I need some help.  I have downloaded MM Sunset but it cannot open Money 98/99 files.  I have also tried the suggestion of using  "intermediate" programs to first convert the files before opening and I am still having problems. 

When I tried on Money2005, it lists the same error message as Sunset (that it cannot open 98/99 Mny files). 

When I tried on Money2004 or 2003 or 2001 it recognizes the 98/99 files, converts them halfway into Mn7 or the likes files, then an error pops up that it cannot open because the file was created in an incompatible format??  when I tried a second file, it asks me to try to open the latest backup file...which again does not work.

I'm not sure whether my 98/99 microsoft money is US/UK or other versions.  I live in Asia.  How do I check? 

Appreciate if someone could help me out on this.  I really need the records that dates back 15 years plus...

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 2:52 AM

All replies

• Have a look at the first post in this forum.  There are links to downloads for UK 2005 and International 2005 versions.  I would try downloading each of them in turn and see if your Money 98/99 file will open with one of them.  If your Money 98/99 was purchased in Asia it is unlikely to be compatible with US Money Plus Deluxe Sunset.

If neither of those alternatives works you can always resort to a qif export from Money 98/99 and import to the program of your choice.  One article that describes this process is here: http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/28.aspx.

Bill Becker

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 4:19 AM
  • Thanks Bill,

Kindly provide the mentioned links to download the UK and international versions.  Aside, once I am able to open in the UK or International version, will I be to then "convert" them into a more international version that can subsequently be opened by sunset? or is there a UK/International version of sunset for download??

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 10:00 AM
  • The download links and more information about what works and what may not work are in the first post in this forum:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/money/thread/479281b2-90f9-42ca-85f7-644fc6e1e5c3

The only way to convert from another version to Sunset is to do the qif export and import.  

Bill Becker

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 12:26 PM
  • thanks once again bill.  Aside, how do I find out which version mine is (UK, International, US??).  I have tried to convert using the international version link, but no luck.  Cannot open.  Albeit i noticed that there is a MN7 file created.
    Wednesday, May 15, 2013 1:54 PM
  • Did you try installing the UK version and opening your Money 98/99 file with that?

Another possibility is to check your localized settings in Windows as described in this article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304254

The MN7 file is a backup of your Money 98/99 file as described here: http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/196.aspx

You can see the version of your Money 98/99 by opening it and clicking on Help>About.  Unfortunately, I cannot find the table that translates the version numbers to localizations.  Maybe another forum user can help?

Bill Becker

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 3:09 PM
  • Thanks bill. It states MM Standard Edition V7 does not state any country.

Aside, I have started the painful process of exporting the files to Qif as per the link. 

The good news is that the QIF files open in Sunset (Hurray).  The nightmare however is that I have several accounts (eg. Savings1, Savings2, Credit Card1, Credit Card2 etc). 

When I import say Savings1.  it states that the records make references to say Savings2 and asks if I want to create an account and asks for the naming of it.  say I name it as Savings2 (as per the original MM99 file).

The first file I import is perfect.  ie. Savings1 balances out.

However, when I start to import Savings2....I get duplicate entries etc and it then affects Savings1....and everything does not balance, for Savings1 nor Savings2 in the end.  Its a nightmare.

Why did microsoft leave us in such a mess is anyone's guess. Really frustrating.  The least they could have done was to provide a Sunset version and a program that allows easy conversion from whatever versions to the sunset version....sigh...

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 10:55 PM
  • You need to create all your accounts and then import all the accounts at once.  See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304254

As described in that article you can select more than one account at a time.

Bill Becker

Thursday, May 16, 2013 1:13 AM
  • Thanks Bill,  Have done that.  But out of the 35 accounts or so that I have I have 5 that are still not balanced.  Sigh...thankfully those are the small ones so I was looking to just rekey in.

That said, I have encountered a new problem. 

In Money  98/99. for Bank, there are a few tabs.  Deposit/Withdrawal/Transfer etc.  And while I am in say Savings1 screen, I can do a transfer between Savings2 and Savings3 without navigating away from Savings1. 

Questions:

Can you do that in Sunset?

When I open a new transaction in Sunset, there are only 2 tabs available to me Withdrawal & Deposit, And no Transfer Tab.  How do you do transfer between accounts?

I noticed that there is a "Common Transactions" at the bottom with options to Withdrawal, Deposit, Transfer.  (a) How is the Withdrawal and Deposit different from that above? (b) I suppose the "Transfer" function is now within this drop down menu and I can select the account that I wish to transfer to from here??? (c) and now the big problem, when I select it, Microsoft Money Sunset shuts down saying that it encountered a problem and needs to close....I am baffled. 

Appreciate your help.

Friday, May 17, 2013 2:45 AM
  • Try checking the box "Show Transactions Form" (at the bottom left of the Account Register screen) and see if that gives what you had in Money 97/98.

The "encountered a problem and needs to close" is more problematic.  What operating system are you using?  Have you applied the mnyob99,dll fix that is described in:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/money/thread/d28d6921-1f01-430f-b33e-f5a3ec47077b

Can you open and add transactions to the Sample.mny file found in the folder Microsoft Money Plus?

Bill Becker

Friday, May 17, 2013 3:01 AM
  • Hi Bill,

One thing I have discovered...the transfer function works between some accounts and not others.  Eg. I may be able to transfer between Savings1 and Savings3 and not between Savings1 and Savings2 (the latter will cause Sunset to spit out the encountered problem message??) While at the same time, transfers between Savings 2 & 3 is possible...

Jwee

Friday, May 17, 2013 3:43 AM
  • Sounds like a file problem rather than the Money installation.  Might be worth doing a File>Repair Money File>Quick File Repair or Standard File Repair (which will reset all your reports).

Bill Becker

Friday, May 17, 2013 3:58 AM
  • Hi bill, really appreciate ur help to date. No I have not applied the patch. Will try. I'm still using Xp for this. Have refrained from touching my money 98/99 on windows 7 till I hv the complete file. Repair the file? The qif or the overall money file? Thks Jwee
    Friday, May 17, 2013 12:25 PM
  • The overall Money file.  Open your newly-created file in Money Sunset and then do:

File>Repair Money File>Quick File Repair

If that doesn't help, you can try

File>Repair Money File> Standard File Repair

which does a more extensive repair but will reset any report that you may have customized. 

Bill Becker

Friday, May 17, 2013 12:58 PM