connectivity problems with whs RRS feed

• Question

• hi guys i have recently tried out some of the threads regarding whs connectivity problems they dont seem to be working.

this problem is actually quite strange because i have the whs icon in the task bar and it is showing the status of the whs and will automatically pop up alert messages on my pc regarding the status of the network. futher, iam able to ping the whs using compromp....

however in saying so, i am not able to actually access the home server counsel, nor can i open the shared folder on one of the computers that is connected in the home network. the error message when i attempt to connect via home server counsole is "this computer cannot connect to your home server. check your network connections and make sure your home server is powered on. if your home server has recently restarted, try again in a few minutes." this message is ofcause deeply redundant as the whs is turned on and it has low level connectivity.

now when i try to access whs through the shared folder short cut, i get the error message:"H-SERVER" is not a valid host name, this message is also absurd since i use the exact same name to connect the whs with all the other computers in the house. (currently we have 4 pc connected) if that is of any help...

the problematic pc has vista home prenium 64 bit. fresh installation. i have actually today also reinstalled the home server, however i still cannot access the folders. i have also disabled the proxy setting as suggested by other threads however there is also no hope there.

one interesting thing ive noticed is the fact that on very rare occasion when i just start my pc i can very breifly access the whs.... i have no idea y that is the case and the pc seems of have a mind of its own.....

any help to this frustration will be greatly appreciated.

thanks
    Sunday, September 20, 2009 5:05 AM

Answers

• The culprit could be the DNS servers. The WHS Connector software uses DNS for name resolution. Your machine points directly to the DNS servers of your ISP, which is unable to resolve the name for you (or in worst case resolves the name to a wrong address).
    Try to change the DHCP configuration on your router, so that it provides the address of your router (192.168.1.1) as your DNS server for the clients.
    I assume the 192.168.169.1 for DHCP as typo?
    Because if it is not, you are running into the unsupported scenario of different subnets (which would require to change the Windows Firewall scope on WHS for several exceptions).
    Another fragile workaround would be, to add a line for the server into the hosts file on each client. Fragile because changes to the server are not tracked in this case and may cause another round of troubleshooting later.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by li 8686 Sunday, September 20, 2009 10:17 PM
    Sunday, September 20, 2009 9:23 AM

All replies

• hi guys i have recently tried out some of the threads regarding whs connectivity problems they dont seem to be working.

this problem is actually quite strange because i have the whs icon in the task bar and it is showing the status of the whs and will automatically pop up alert messages on my pc regarding the status of the network. futher, iam able to ping the whs using compromp....

however in saying so, i am not able to actually access the home server counsel, nor can i open the shared folder on one of the computers that is connected in the home network. the error message when i attempt to connect via home server counsole is "this computer cannot connect to your home server. check your network connections and make sure your home server is powered on. if your home server has recently restarted, try again in a few minutes." this message is ofcause deeply redundant as the whs is turned on and it has low level connectivity.

now when i try to access whs through the shared folder short cut, i get the error message:"H-SERVER" is not a valid host name, this message is also absurd since i use the exact same name to connect the whs with all the other computers in the house. (currently we have 4 pc connected) if that is of any help...

the problematic pc has vista home prenium 64 bit. fresh installation. i have actually today also reinstalled the home server, however i still cannot access the folders. i have also disabled the proxy setting as suggested by other threads however there is also no hope there.

one interesting thing ive noticed is the fact that on very rare occasion when i just start my pc i can very breifly access the whs.... i have no idea y that is the case and the pc seems of have a mind of its own.....

any help to this frustration will be greatly appreciated.

thanks
    Are you able to ping your server both by name and by IP address from that client?  Can you run ipconfig /all on your server, your client that doesn't work, and one that does, then post the results from all of 3 of those here?  When you say your VHP x64 is a fresh installation, how "fresh" is it?  (In other words, did you install anything on it after installing the OS?)
    Sunday, September 20, 2009 5:21 AM
  • hi there kariya,

i have just pinged the sever from a client on my windows vista ultimate laptop that is working, is returns connectivity via both name (H-SERVER) and ip (192.168.1.103)
    concurrently i have also pinged the from the computer with wvhp that has the client not working and the it returns connectivity with ip but no connectivity with the server name.

the installation of whp was done 2 days ago, i have installed flash and java and crysis warhead only. as for the drivers, i have installed nvidia driver for gpu, wireless adpater driver as it is also a laptop (xps m1730) sound card driver and over drivers that were neccessary.

i have also taken the interest of pinging from the whs itself. and it returns no connectivity from the computer with problem however it returns connectivity both with name and ip from the computer that is working fine. 

another peculiar thing that i have just realised with the problem is that i can actually backup the computer with connection problems through a whs console installed on another pc that is working fine. hope that helps.

ipconfig /all whs:

host name h-server
    primary dns suffix n/a
    node type: unknow
    ip routing enabled: no
    wins proxy enabled; no
    physical address: 00-26-18-BD-55-8B
    DHCP enabled: yes
    autoconfiguration enabled: yes
    ip address: 192.168.1.103
    subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    defualt gateway: 192.168.1.1
    dhcp server: 192.168.1.1
    dns servers: 202.180.64.10
    leaseobtained: sunday, 20 september 2009 2:08:56 p.m
    lease expires : 24 hrs later.

ipconfig /all working pc

host name: li-pc
    primary dns suffix: n/a
    node type: hybrid
    iprouting/ winds proxy enabled: no

connection specific dns suffix: n/a
    physical address: 00-16-EA-75-9B-58
    dhcp enabled: yes
    autoconfiguration enabled: yes
    ipv6 adress: 2002:a10:104:0:fca8:a833:462b:329<perferred>
    link-local ipv6 address: fe80::fca8:a833:462b:329%10<perferred>
    ipv4 adress: 192.168.101 perfereed
    subnet mask 255.255.255.0
    default gateway fe80::222:6bff:fe58:a064%10
    dhcp server 192.168.1.1
    dhcpv6 IAID 218109674
     dhcp client DUID 00-01-00-01-11-52-9A-CB-00-16-EA-75-9B-58
    DNS servers 202.180.64.10
    netbios over tcpip: enabled.

ipconfig all pc not working:
    primary dns suffix: N/a
    node type: hybrid
    iproutingenabled/winds proxy enabled: no

connetion-specific DNS suffix : N/a
    physical address : 00-1F-3B-C9-98-03
    dhcp/ autoconfiguration enabled: yes
    ipv6 address 2002:a01:104:0:dc92:7aa8:bbb1:72 <perferred>
    link-local ipv6 adress fe80::dc92:7aa8:bbb1:72%14
    ipv4 address 192.168.1.102
    subnet mask 255.255.255.0
    default gateway fe80::222:6bff:fe58:a064%14
    dhcp server 192.168.1.1
    dhcpv6 IAID 318775099
    dhcpv6 client DUID 00-01-00-01-12-40-FC-39-00-1D-09-51-18-12
    DNS servers 202.180.64.10
    netbios over tcpip: enabled

please note N/A means where its just black

• Edited by li 8686 Sunday, September 20, 2009 9:34 AM
    Sunday, September 20, 2009 6:03 AM
  • The culprit could be the DNS servers. The WHS Connector software uses DNS for name resolution. Your machine points directly to the DNS servers of your ISP, which is unable to resolve the name for you (or in worst case resolves the name to a wrong address).
    Try to change the DHCP configuration on your router, so that it provides the address of your router (192.168.1.1) as your DNS server for the clients.
    Because if it is not, you are running into the unsupported scenario of different subnets (which would require to change the Windows Firewall scope on WHS for several exceptions).
    Another fragile workaround would be, to add a line for the server into the hosts file on each client. Fragile because changes to the server are not tracked in this case and may cause another round of troubleshooting later.
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by li 8686 Sunday, September 20, 2009 10:17 PM
    Sunday, September 20, 2009 9:23 AM
    Olaf

hi there 192.168.169.1 is a typo it should be without the 169, anyway i have changed the dns server for the pc with the problem to 192.168.1.1 however the problem still persists, further i was only able to modify the dns server ip for tcp/ip v4 not v6
    Sunday, September 20, 2009 10:16 AM
    Olaf

hi there 192.168.169.1 is a typo it should be without the 169, anyway i have changed the dns server for the pc with the problem to 192.168.1.1 however the problem still persists, further i was only able to modify the dns server ip for tcp/ip v4 not v6

hi there olaf, last night i spent some time over the possibility of the modifying the hosts file which would override the problematic DNS, after some self research and many failed attempts i think i have solved the problem. first i defined a reserved ip for the home server on my router, then defined the ip to that host name under the hosts file. now whs seems to be working fine.

btw just as a sideline questiong, is the DNS server acctually run by my isp or something?? or some over physical organisation?? and further how would they have access to the information regarding the internal status of my home network??

many thanks and greetings from new zealand.
    Sunday, September 20, 2009 10:21 PM
  • btw just as a sideline questiong, is the DNS server acctually run by my isp or something?? or some over physical organisation?? and further how would they have access to the information regarding the internal status of my home network??

if your router is set as DNS server, it will only forward names for resolution, which it cannot resolve and which have a domain extension.
    It will ask the DNS server of the ISP for name resolution. If this doesn't know either, it attempts to find another DNS server, which is authoritative for this name extension and could answer the request.

So no, they don't have access to your internal name structure, and this is a reason for the problem (a timing out DNS request as well as a wrong answer).

Olaf
    Monday, September 21, 2009 7:31 AM