none
Help with Post-Install issues? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I am a WHS newbie and anxious to dive in.  I have a fair amount of experience with SBS (Small Business Server 2003) and I suspect WHS is similar in that there are some "rules" to follow.  So before I really dive in I wanted to solicit some advice.  I have a homebrew system and am at the stage where WHS is installed, all of the Updates done including Power Pack 3.  Other than that I have not touched it, no Connectors installed etc.

My question concerns drivers: I noticed by browsing Device Manager that hardware such as the NIC and the Display Adapter appear to be using standard Microsoft drivers circa 2002.  So how far to I go in doing standard driver updates?  OK for example to download from the manufacturer Web site; i.e. the latest NIC drivers from INTEL, the latest video drivers from nVidia, etc etc.  Again, making an assumption this is OK in the WHS world as long as they are correct drivers for Server 2003?  Finally, just wanted to make sure this process is OK to do while directly interacting with the Server OS?

Thank you in advance and I look forward to participating here!

Mike

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 2:12 PM

All replies

• Hi Mike,

Why update the drivers if they are working fine for you :-)  The display adapter is not really important as you should only really use Window Home Server from the a connected client through the Windows Home Server Console.  As for the Network Card I'd say if you have a decent on board NIC then the current driver is probably fine as is.

Cheers,

Al

--
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 3:24 PM
  • I have gone in and installed AV and such on my WHS, as well as drivers for printers etc with no issues at all.

Just dont 'mess' with anything that you dont need to would be my advice.

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 7:40 AM
  • Hi Mike. As I noticed you're a newbie, my best advice is probably to avoid doing things locally on the server. The most important thing to remember is that you should never copy files to the D: on the whs. (Common misstake among us used to other servers) You must always use the network shares, even if logged in locally.

Did you see any warning in the Device manager, or was all hardware working with the standard driver? I had to install NIC and Chipset, but I don't bother with the HD audio or video drivers as I don't need it.

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 9:03 AM
  • Thank you all, I appreciate the advice.  After reading all of this, the only thing I did was to update the INTEL drivers for my PRO 1000 NIC.  I figured that might be helpful as a lot of info is going to stream over the network.  Good point about audio and video; I think I will just pull the legacy sound card out of the box as it seems to be a bit un-needed!

Now that the WHS part is installed and updated, it sounds like the best thing to do is to pull the monitor, kb and mouse and then admin the box the way it is designed to be?  Then I will move it to the dark corner where it will reside and I will be less tempted to try and mess with it locally.

Thank you again!

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 1:04 PM
  • Which Virus Scanner did you install? The most Virus Scanners are not Windows Home Server aware and may either disturbe its functionality seriously or not function correctly.

Therefore it should be a virus scanner, which is specific designed for Windows Home Server.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 3:43 PM
  • Which Virus Scanner did you install? The most Virus Scanners are not Windows Home Server aware and may either disturbe its functionality seriously or not function correctly.

Therefore it should be a virus scanner, which is specific designed for Windows Home Server.

Olaf

Hmmm, maybe I now have my first problem?!

I installed Sunbelt Software VIPRE anti-virus and anti-malware, which I have a site license ofr and use on all my other computers.  I did check the Sunbelt Web site to confirm compatability with Server 2003.  Have to admit I never checked for WHS compatability though.

Think I need to get this off there and go with something else?

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 3:52 PM
  • I would definitively recommend so (or run WHS without Virus Scanner, if all clients are protected and the server is not used as desktop, which would be outside of its supported and licensed usage).

Avast is one of the few companies, which offer a virus scanner for WHS.

Olaf

Thursday, May 6, 2010 8:42 PM