Crash and can't access computer after installing Windows Genuine Advantage on Dell w/ pre-installed XP RRS feed

• Question

• I bought a Dell Inspiron last year and bought a valid version of Windows XP and MS Office with it. After getting lots of popups everytime I started my computer saying I had to install the Windows Genuine Advantage software, I finally installed it. Now I can't access my computer or the laptop networked to it(which also has a genuine version of MS Windows). I got a Dr. Watson debug error. Then:

Error Signature - EventType: InPageError P1: C000009C and P2: 00000003
    explorer.exe.mdmp
    appcompat.txt

I did an extended test on startup on my system and got these errors on the Read Test of the hard drive:
    error code 1100:012A (and o22A and 032A)
    Msg Diskette - the drive did not respond in a fixed time to an access attempt.

error code: 0F00: 0244
    MSG: Disk_0__ block 67355023: Can't read, replace disk or remove write protection.

The desktop doesn't show me the windows desktop at all. The laptop shows the desktop, but all of the icons flash every 2 seconds and I can't access any programs. The only way to access anything is through the startup. Dell says it's a software problem. It won't even start in safe mode though (I get a black screen with "safe mode" written in each corner but still can't access any programs that way).

Please help! I have a deadline tomorrow
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 6:36 PM

Answers

• Thank you for visiting us today. The problem you are experiencing may be related to hardware failure potentially the hard drive. Unfortunately this falls outside the support scope for Windows Genuine Advantage "WGA" forum. Please use your favorite search engine and search for Hard Drive error code 1100:012A. Your best option @ this point is to contact Dell Technical Support and request assistance. Describe the scenario as you have here with us and seek their guidance.

Since the telephone number and websites are not maintained by Microsoft we cannot make any warranty as to their validity.

I have included their contact information here for your convenience. Thank you again for contacting us here in the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program forum.

Welcome To Dell Support

http://support.dell.com/support/index.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen

Dell Community Forums

http://en.community.dell.com/

Request Backup Discs "In case you do not have them".

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&redirect=1

Take care and thank you,

Stephen

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Tuesday, June 9, 2009 11:52 PM
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 11:52 PM