WHS PP3 Shared Folder Failing RRS feed

• Question

• I have an HP EX495, which I recently upgraded to PP3.

It's throwing a Yellow "Network at Risk" warning.  The details of the warning are "File Conflicts" and it lists 5 files with the error "The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation".  None of the 5 files have a really long path or any special characters in the name, and none of the 5 files are mission critical, I'd be happy to delete the files to resolve the error.  The files are from a few different sub directories on the same shared folder.  The actual shared Folder has a yellow status "Failing (Check Health)"  It's my largest shared folder (708GB) and is not duplicated (I do have a couple other shared folders that are duplicated).  All drives show healthy and I have 2.24TB free of 4.09TB.  (the 1.5TB system drive, and three 1TB drives).

When I open the shared folder and try to navigate to the files (to potentially rename or delete them), some of the directories literally disappear while I am navigating.

It seems I have a very flaky share.  I'd prefer to find a way to resolve the error and salvage most of the files, but I'd be willing to lose the files to ensure the server becomes stable.  What should I do/try?

Also, I do have 3 add-ons that I installed about the same time I installed PP3.  DVC WSH Server 1.0 (DLink webcam monitor), WHS Mobile v1.5.3 (for IPhone access to server), and avast! Antivirus 4.8.257.  I uninstalled the trial version of McAfee that came with the server.

Thanks!

Jason

Tuesday, December 1, 2009 8:20 AM

All replies

• Please start with running chkdsk on all drives in the server: How to check all the drives in your server for errors
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 8:56 AM
  • Thanks for the help!

I ran the chkdsk as suggested.  It ran successfully on C: and the 3 add-on drives, it did not run on the D: drive (gave an error that the drive was in use by another process).

Rebooted, and I still appear to have the same problem.  It seems that integrity of the shared drive in question is fine (I can navigate the tree, open files, etc...) but as soon as I try to access one of the 5 files that WHS reports as having a conflict (even just trying to highlight the filename in filemanager), the whole share goes funny and entire directory paths on the tree vanish, until I reboot.

Wednesday, December 2, 2009 7:23 AM