windows home server nothing more then xp pro with different gui RRS feed

• Question

• sorry but this seems to be nothing more then xp pro striped down the multi disk is nothing more then raid 1 and dynamic disk combined basicly if u have 8 drives u only get the storage of 4 as thay are backing the other disks up all i do is use a pc running xp pro with dynamic disks and ide controllers what we really need is units that connect thru scsi but will run ide or sata hard drives at desent prices think about it atx motherboad will take 4 maybe 5 pci cards add a scsi controller that means u can run 12 to 14 hard drives per controller ok i know scsi drives are expensive and small but u can get a 500 gig ide for £80 and a ide to scsi bridge for about £40 this makeing sence to any one else well thats just my 2 pence worth
    Wednesday, June 13, 2007 5:56 AM

All replies

• Take a breath there buddy Smile

The difference is that this product is targeted towards the average home user - could your mum do what you described? I don't understand some of what you're talking about and I've been using computers for years. I have no doubt my mum could use WHS, though.
    Wednesday, June 13, 2007 9:47 AM
  • WRONG!  Please try again.

In refute of your statement:

It is Windows Server 2003 Small Business Edition with quite a lot of new features geared towards a home user.   It is meant to be HEADLESS meaning joe user would NEVER see the "gui"  other than the Home Server Console.

It backs up your home computers automatically and gives you a bare metal restore option.  THIS IS PRICELESS in my book.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 1:32 PM
  • Its power is all under the bonnet, with a nice console bolted on top.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 2:43 PM
  • IN addition to the other comments - this is not RAID or striping or any such old technology. WHS smarter than that. read the release notes and then you might be better educated.
    Wednesday, June 13, 2007 8:34 PM
  • RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE! Smile in all seriousness we don't need to jump on someone for their opinions, not everyone understands what power their is in simplicity. That being said I bet he uses a mac ;-)
    Wednesday, June 13, 2007 9:44 PM