Is OCS_SE_EVAL.msi a corrupt download?? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Something odd is going on when I try and install the source OCS Standard Edition package: "OCS_SE_EVAL.msi".

I get the alert below   

Windows Installer

The installation package could not be opened.

Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a

valid Windows Installer package

So for I've tried downloading the package a few times at work bust still results in the exact same error. Also from work I have tried installing it on numerous different Windows 2003 servers SP1 and SP2 but still does not work.

While at home this morning, I downloaded it to my vista laptop and it installed smoothly without issue.

Is the MSI corrupt, do I have strange MSI issues on my companies 2003 Servers or is there something I've overlooked?

Wish it was just as simple as a ZIP  or RAR  [:^)]

Thursday, May 10, 2007 2:05 AM

Answers

• I resolved my problem by running the packed MSI on a Vista PC, then copying the source to the server.

Friday, May 11, 2007 6:32 PM
  • Hi,

There have been a few people posting about this. We are having someone look into it. Thanks for your patience and for posting how you got it to work.

Friday, June 1, 2007 4:47 AM

All replies

• I resolved my problem by running the packed MSI on a Vista PC, then copying the source to the server.

Friday, May 11, 2007 6:32 PM
  • Also have this message on several computers with several different interent connections. Sometimes the download doesn't even fully complete which may cause this?
    Wednesday, May 16, 2007 11:32 AM
  • I am having the exact same problem!

Also tried executing the msi-package on a Vista-computer, unfortunately with the same result.

Downloading the file for the fourth time now... :/

Edit: Downloaded the file on a Vista computer, transferred it to my Windows Server 2003 and it worked!!

Friday, May 18, 2007 7:59 AM
  • i've downloaded the file on a Windows XP SP2 laptop at work behind a firewall and connected to a slow connection and the MSI was corrupted.

later, i've downloaded the MSI at home on another Windows XP SP2 computer and connected to a fast connection and i successfully extracted the package.

does the connection bandwidth and/or latency has an impact when getting this MSI package? it's strange...

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 8:26 AM
  • Hi,

There have been a few people posting about this. We are having someone look into it. Thanks for your patience and for posting how you got it to work.

Friday, June 1, 2007 4:47 AM
  • I've been trying to install the standard edition.  I thought that I'd got round the original problem (described above) however the package fails to install and produces the error message:

Error attempting to read from source install database:
        C:\WINDOWS\Installer\<number>.msi

It does this on both XP pro and Windows Server so i think that its the file that is at fault.

Does anyone know how to get an uncorrupted version?
    Friday, June 29, 2007 2:07 PM
  • me too!! Sad I use some download software down it, but all have that error !! my computer is use LongHorn (Bulid 6001),but Enterprise Editon have not this error!!I think it's have error,who can tell to Microsoft !!
    Sunday, July 1, 2007 8:05 AM
  • I've finally managed to download a good version of this file.  It would appear that there is a problem with downloading this file through a caching proxy, as such I used my 1Mb home broadband connection and it worked first time.
    Monday, July 2, 2007 3:21 PM