Been an idiot with my WGA key and its stuck on my HD RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Can someone please help me as I've had the weekend from hell.

Bought my PC 'Cheap' a number of years ago and subsequently found out my copy of Windows XP Pro was not genuine. Not to much of an issue, purchased a copy of Windows FGenuine Advantage Kit for Windows XP Propfessional, Recieved a disc in the mail and the product key by E-mail.

Entlered new key and everything was fine until Saturday!!

Saturday I decided the old dinasaur needed a makeover and I purchased a new motherboard, processor and graphics card. I fitted them Saturday and everything was going fine until I booted the PC up for the first time.

During boot-up I got a message saying that Windows had detected a hardware change and needed to re-validate (i think that was the message) and asked if I wanted to do this now or later. As the new graphics card was casuing the screen to be all out of wack I decided to validate later. Then the trouble began...

PC shut down and would only restart by booting from the WGA CD. This started off OK and everything seemed to be going OK until the disk asks me to input the product key.

The problem is that the key was mailed to me by Microsoft and is in my e-mail file on the hard disk which I obviously cannot get to. The disk which was sent to me says on the COA 'no key'.

Question is, how can I input a key when I cannot get to it (I know I'm stupid and should have printed it out and kept it but there you go). Is it possible to get the key from the disk or is there a way of getting a temporary key to get the install through??

Any advise will be welcome as my daughter canont MSN her mates and she'd driving me mad.

Thanks

Russ

Monday, February 18, 2008 9:22 AM

Answers

• Hello Russ,

Since you made a significant hardware change windows will need to reactivate, are you able to boot into safe mode at all?  If so I would highly suggest doing this and following the below steps to do a telephone activation:

To contact a Microsoft customer service representative to activate Windows by phone, follow these steps:

Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Activate Windows.

Or, click the Windows Activation icon in the notification area.

Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to active Windows now.

Click Read the Windows Product Activation Privacy Statement, click Back, and then click Next.

Follow the steps in the Activate Windows by phone dialog box, and then click Next.

Note The number appears now and differs based on the location that you select.

When activation is completed and you receive the following message, click OK.

You have successfully activated your copy of Windows.

More information on how to activate Windows XP at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890

Also you may reference the following site for various telephone activation centers:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851

Thank you,

Matt Prall, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Monday, February 18, 2008 6:11 PM

All replies

• Hello Russ,

Since you made a significant hardware change windows will need to reactivate, are you able to boot into safe mode at all?  If so I would highly suggest doing this and following the below steps to do a telephone activation:

To contact a Microsoft customer service representative to activate Windows by phone, follow these steps:

Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Activate Windows.

Or, click the Windows Activation icon in the notification area.

Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to active Windows now.

Click Read the Windows Product Activation Privacy Statement, click Back, and then click Next.

Follow the steps in the Activate Windows by phone dialog box, and then click Next.

Note The number appears now and differs based on the location that you select.

When activation is completed and you receive the following message, click OK.

You have successfully activated your copy of Windows.

More information on how to activate Windows XP at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890

Also you may reference the following site for various telephone activation centers:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851

Thank you,

Matt Prall, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Monday, February 18, 2008 6:11 PM
  • Russ007,

Here's the WGA Order support link:  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/orderhelp.aspx

Perhaps they can resend your original WGA Product Key to you.

Suggestion:  write the PK on the CD package or the CD sleeve for future use

PS:  After changing that much hardware, your best option is to do a repair reinstallation of XP, which is designed to preserve your installed programs and data.  See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341  Since the WGA kit gives you a full retail license for XP, you won't run into any licensing issues from changing the motherboard and processor.  (If it were an OEM license OTOH, you'd have a problem!)

Monday, February 18, 2008 6:43 PM
  • Thanks Matt, however I am not able to get that far as the system will not go past the point of the re-install that requires the key. If I turn it off and on again, it simply starts again from this point.

I did manage to get the thing up and running last night by re-fitting and old hard disc (running Win98!!) that I had as the master and making the main one the slave in an attempt to access and copy my e-mail file but that did not help as I cannot tell what file I need or where it is located (the idea was going to be to then import it onto my work laptop so I could read the e-mail with the key).

Thanks again for the help.

Russ

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 9:04 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the advice. I have mailed them asking if it is possible to re-send the original mail but posted here also as I'm not sure they will be able to help me with the mail as it was a good while ago.

As for writing the key down!..... Hindsight eh, can't beat it.

Thanks

Russ

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 9:08 AM