none
Profile Site Update - December 1st RRS feed

• General discussion

• Some nice changes coming today to your profiles. Hope you like them and use this thread to chat more about them!

Point History Graph - the second part of our statistics work is going live today. At the top of a profile page you'll see a time graph representing accumulated points over the time a persons profile has existed. Looking at a profile you'll see when they were active, how many points earned in that month and points at that particular month. We plan to add more interaction to the graph over time (such as zooming, achievements earned when, etc.). Please note there are a couple of bugs we will address in our next release including duplicate months being shown at the start or end of the graph.

Pie Charts - For Activities by Application and Points by Application, you'll see the tabular data replaced with pie charts. When you hover over a piece of the pie you'll see the actual value along with the percentage of that piece. See someone new in the forums, you'll be able to quickly tell if they've spent time elsewhere in our network with ease. Note there is also one design bug here where the colors between the two pie charts aren't always mapped to the same application. We'll fix that in the next release as well.

Missing Achievements - There was another report or two of some achievements not being awarded. We've found that issue and those achievements will appear again over the next week. We'll actually be recalculating all achievement progress to ensure we catch anything else that might be hiding away.

Hover User Cards - There was some feedback that the hover cards we display when you hover over a users name, appeared to easily. We've tweaked that some to make that a better experience.

Avatar Restrictions - If your avatar when converted and resized exceeded 8KB, the system just stopped processing the rest of the image. Apparently that's not really a good idea. ;-) So we've fixed that so that we process the whole image.

Btw, we have heard the request to flip the activity and stats tabs. We haven't done that yet and are still collecting data around usage of both tabs. We are also working through a design update (that activity feed really does need it) so we'll be addressing what order we have the tabs in conjunction with this other work.

All this should be live by 6pm PST today.

• Edited by Sean Jenkin Thursday, December 1, 2011 8:52 PM
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 8:48 PM

All replies

• one cosmetic thing i noticed is, in the pie charts, the colors arent assigned fixed (or at least not the same), so in activity forums can be blue while in points forums is for example green. might be worth to have the colors the same in both charts. no biggie though, I like the charts

edit: my bad, the colors are already mentioned. sorry

• Edited by FZBEditor Friday, December 2, 2011 10:40 AM
    Friday, December 2, 2011 9:25 AM
    Answerer
  • I like the idea of a chart that shows points over time, but I do not think it should be at the top of the page.  If anything, it should be below the points summary.  The most pertinent information should be listed first.

I am also not sure about the pie charts, as it is very difficult to work with on mobile devices (no hover functionality).

Rich Prescott | Infrastructure Architect, Windows Engineer and PowerShell blogger | MCITP, MCTS, MCP

Engineering Efficiency
    @Rich_Prescott
    Client System Administration tool
    AD User Creation tool
    Friday, December 2, 2011 6:07 PM
  • I've noticed that something was wrong after answering a few more than 500 answers: according to the "Recognition System" section in the FAQ page, I should earn the "Forums Answerer IV" gold achievement but the medal still does not appear on my profile page.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Award
    Friday, December 2, 2011 10:21 PM
  • I've noticed that something was wrong after answering a few more than 500 answers: according to the "Recognition System" section in the FAQ page, I should earn the "Forums Answerer IV" gold achievement but the medal still does not appear on my profile page.

Bye.

I believe that is due to them not counting 'Code Answers' towards the Forums Answerer achievements.  There are arguments either way as to why they did that, and I think they went the correct way with their decision (or else EVERY answer would have some type of code snippet for max points/achievements).

Rich Prescott | Infrastructure Architect, Windows Engineer and PowerShell blogger | MCITP, MCTS, MCP

Engineering Efficiency
    @Rich_Prescott
    AD User Creation tool
    Friday, December 2, 2011 10:31 PM

Bye.

I believe that is due to them not counting 'Code Answers' towards the Forums Answerer achievements.  There are arguments either way as to why they did that, and I think they went the correct way with their decision (or else EVERY answer would have some type of code snippet for max points/achievements).

Engineering Efficiency
    @Rich_Prescott
    AD User Creation tool

I don't know if it could be so: when I've answered the 150th answer, I've immediately earned the "Forums Answerer III" Silver achievement and some of my answers contained code snippets, but they were all counted.
    According to the FAQ page, answers with code should be differently counted (that's my opinion, of course) in order to earn the "Code Answerer" achievements: but they're all answers, I presume.

Bye.

Saturday, December 3, 2011 4:30 PM
  • one cosmetic thing i noticed is, in the pie charts, the colors arent assigned fixed (or at least not the same), so in activity forums can be blue while in points forums is for example green. might be worth to have the colors the same in both charts. no biggie though, I like the charts

edit: my bad, the colors are already mentioned. sorry

No Worries. Right now the colors are being assigned due to a sorting on highest to lowest points/activity counts. That sorting will be removed and we'll assign specific colors to the apps.
    Monday, December 5, 2011 6:51 PM
  • I like the idea of a chart that shows points over time, but I do not think it should be at the top of the page.  If anything, it should be below the points summary.  The most pertinent information should be listed first.

I am also not sure about the pie charts, as it is very difficult to work with on mobile devices (no hover functionality).

Engineering Efficiency
    @Rich_Prescott
    AD User Creation tool

Thanks for the feedback Rich. We'll take a look at how it works further down the page.

As to the pie charts, I found on my phone and table that I can click the pie chart pieces and the data appears.

Monday, December 5, 2011 6:52 PM

Bye.

Engineering Efficiency
    @Rich_Prescott
    AD User Creation tool

I don't know if it could be so: when I've answered the 150th answer, I've immediately earned the "Forums Answerer III" Silver achievement and some of my answers contained code snippets, but they were all counted.
    According to the FAQ page, answers with code should be differently counted (that's my opinion, of course) in order to earn the "Code Answerer" achievements: but they're all answers, I presume.

Bye.

As noted in the announcement post, we are completing a recalc of all achievements. Those if you missing achievements will earn them once the recalc is back up to date. It is going slower than expected but will be done eventually. ;-) Hang tight and you'll be rewarded for your work.
    Monday, December 5, 2011 6:57 PM

Bye.

Engineering Efficiency
    @Rich_Prescott
    AD User Creation tool

Bye.

As noted in the announcement post, we are completing a recalc of all achievements. Those if you missing achievements will earn them once the recalc is back up to date. It is going slower than expected but will be done eventually. ;-) Hang tight and you'll be rewarded for your work.

Thank you for the feedback, Sean.
    I've noticed the problem for the "general" answers, but you know it's difficult to track it for Wiki or Blog comments.

Bye.

Monday, December 5, 2011 8:36 PM
  • Thanks for the feedback Rich. We'll take a look at how it works further down the page.

As to the pie charts, I found on my phone and table that I can click the pie chart pieces and the data appears.

Using my profile as an example, my wiki points currently account for 1.28% of my total points.  This makes it almost impossible to click on that sliver of the pie, as it is so small.

With the chart, it would also be helpful to have the actual numbers floating above or below the data points.  This would give you more meaningful information at first glance and make it easier for us mobile users.

Engineering Efficiency
    @Rich_Prescott
    AD User Creation tool
    Monday, December 5, 2011 10:44 PM
  • Thanks for the feedback Rich. We'll take a look at how it works further down the page.

Using my profile as an example, my wiki points currently account for 1.28% of my total points.  This makes it almost impossible to click on that sliver of the pie, as it is so small.

With the chart, it would also be helpful to have the actual numbers floating above or below the data points.  This would give you more meaningful information at first glance and make it easier for us mobile users.

Engineering Efficiency
    @Rich_Prescott
    AD User Creation tool

You're right, Rich: I'm having the same problem with my Wiki points.
    I also suggest you to display Wiki revision comments separated from simple comments, because these two types of comments are also used for different kind of achievements earning: for example, the number of revision comments could be displayed in brackets "()" after the total number of comments; I think it could be important displaying them separately.

Bye.

Tuesday, December 6, 2011 11:55 PM