none
Cannot view backups in Users directory in recovered disk RRS feed

• Question

• I just had a server fail and my disks have to be relocated to a new machine.  I have attached the DATA drive to a client machine via a USB drive holder and gone to DATA/DE/shares/Users to look for my client backups, but the folders appear empty.

However the drive appears nearly full.  I was getting warnings from my Connector that drive was getting full and I was going to go in and clean things out, but meanwhile the power supply gave out on my server.  I suspect a relationship, but in any case the drive shows a capacity of 500 GB, 459 GB used and about 6 GB free.  But the drive is 800 GB and when I view the folder properties of DE, I see that its size is only 134 GB.  I can see all the files and folders that account for this size.  When I look in the Users directories, the folders are all empty except for one holding backups for a Linux server.

In the DATA drive there is also the .tmp folder and the cache folder of no particular size consequence.  The other drive holding the WHS program files is also OK and I can read the files, but it's only about 80 GB and I think I understand that data files from users do not go there.

Is there some magic that needs to be applied to see my backup files and give account for all the used space?

I should note that I have viewed the following link:

How to recover data after server failure

In particular, I am showing hidden files and folders.

• Edited by pksky Sunday, November 23, 2014 8:49 PM Added link
    Sunday, November 23, 2014 8:45 PM

All replies

• I have run "Error checking" from the Properties window of the hard drive and it found no errors.  I have also run the defragmenter which found 4% fragmentation.  I still can't see the files.  I notice also on the DE folder that there is a padlock on the folder icon.
    Monday, November 24, 2014 7:57 PM
  • I think this is the same as my problem:

WHS 2011 - Server failure - hard drive data recovery

The solution:

"Your only recovery option is to reinstall WHS 2011 on new hardware and then pop in your data drive. You will be able to see your data.

Do not put your data drive when reinstalling WHS because it will get formatted with the system drive. Just install WHS 2011 on your system drive and put your second drive in only when the installation is done."

Could somebody please confirm or deny this?

Monday, November 24, 2014 11:23 PM
  • I have reinstalled WHS on a new system.  I did not add my DATA drive for the installation to preserve my original data.  After installation, I installed the original DATA drive, but I am still not seeing my files.  I see the hard drive in the Storage part of the WHS console.  It is not shown as added and I still can't see the backups in the DATA/DE/shares/Users.

What next?  How do I add this drive to my new WHS installation?

Wednesday, November 26, 2014 6:39 PM
  • Hi,

what makes you think, that the backups are stored in DATA/DE/shares/Users?
    If anything is stored there at all, then files, the users stored intentionally in their shared folders on the server.
    The Client PC backups containing all data from the PCs are stored in the Backup database, which is located on a Windows Home Server v.1 in D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}. There may be real files, or there may be hardlinks pointing to files distributed to other disks in the server (DE\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}).

How many disks had the original server?

If it was only one disk you could try to stop the services whsbackup and pdl, delete the files in D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4} and replace them with the files from the original server. After completing restart the services.

Or put the original disk into the server and try a server reinstall (there is one option which preserves the data and is the only way intended to recover a server and if you are lucky enough the client backups).

There has never been a regular procedure for saving and restoring the backup database (maybe due to its huge size and the fact, that the server is usually there, if a client needs to be restored, or the client can be backed up again, if the server was gone).
    Only a 3rd party Add-In:
    WHS Backup Database-Backup (BDBB) Add-In version 1.0.3.3
    http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9001

Finally you can try to extract files/volumes from backup database with another 3rd party tool (never tested myself):
    WhsDbDataDump, available on http://wiki.covecube.com/WhsDbDataDump_2.0

Good luck
    Olaf

Tuesday, December 16, 2014 11:34 AM
  • Thanks, but I have managed to relocate the original sources of the backups and moved on to another backup solution via NAS.
    Tuesday, December 16, 2014 5:23 PM