How to create a chatroom through Communicator RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi all,

Recently I had installed a OCS 2007 as well as office communicator 2007, however I had some question to qlarify with experts out there. Can I create workgroup or chatroom using OC ? By the way I had install Groove servers as well as office Groove 2007, I wonder can I integrate both to create a chatroom ?

Jus

9/10/08

Thursday, October 9, 2008 1:28 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Persistent chat (aka group chat) is what we know as the typical chatrooms using your favorite IRC client like Mirc. You create a chatroom and people can join or leave that room as they please. Today with OCS 2007 you can create a chat session by sending an IM message to your peer or to a group of people but once everybody leaves that session the session is no longer available and removed from the server (not persistent).

In LCS 2005 there was a company called Parlano that produced a product called Mindalign that allowed Group Chat functionality in LCS 2005. This company has been acquired by Microsoft to fill in the gap they had in this area.

Mindalign Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MindAlign

Sincerely,

Tonino Bruno

Friday, October 10, 2008 7:24 AM
  •  CKYJ wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, so just to check with you, i understand that parlano program had been bought over by microsoft, so mus I pay in order to get the program or the program is included in LCS 2005 or OCS 2007 ?

Jus

10/10

No, what he is telling you is that the Parlano program is now in the hands of Microsoft. They have not given it out yet, so at this point you can not get the software, and you can not use it.

We just have to wait and see what Microsoft decides to do with it.

Friday, October 10, 2008 1:30 PM

All replies

• Hi,

There is no persistent chatroom feature available with OCS 2007, you can create a group IM session and "debate" but that session is not persistent over time.

There used to be a add-on product to LCS 2005 called Parlano Group-Chat that offered persistent chat room functionality. Some time ago Microsoft acquired that company so it may come as no surprise that you will find this feature very soon in their OCS product.

As far as Groove is concerned there isn't much integration between OCS and Groove Server.

Sincerely,

Tonino Bruno

Thursday, October 9, 2008 1:42 PM
  • Hi,

I would like to clarify with you, what do you mean by no persistent chatroom feature, can you give me an example? So therefore you mena that LCS 2005 there is actually an integration with a program call parlano group chat which make use of the LCS 2005 for the chat room feature?Thanks.

Jus

10/10

Friday, October 10, 2008 2:09 AM
  • Hi,

Persistent chat (aka group chat) is what we know as the typical chatrooms using your favorite IRC client like Mirc. You create a chatroom and people can join or leave that room as they please. Today with OCS 2007 you can create a chat session by sending an IM message to your peer or to a group of people but once everybody leaves that session the session is no longer available and removed from the server (not persistent).

In LCS 2005 there was a company called Parlano that produced a product called Mindalign that allowed Group Chat functionality in LCS 2005. This company has been acquired by Microsoft to fill in the gap they had in this area.

Mindalign Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MindAlign

Sincerely,

Tonino Bruno

Friday, October 10, 2008 7:24 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply, so just to check with you, i understand that parlano program had been bought over by microsoft, so mus I pay in order to get the program or the program is included in LCS 2005 or OCS 2007 ?

Jus

10/10

Friday, October 10, 2008 8:03 AM
  •  CKYJ wrote:

Hi,

Jus

10/10

No, what he is telling you is that the Parlano program is now in the hands of Microsoft. They have not given it out yet, so at this point you can not get the software, and you can not use it.

We just have to wait and see what Microsoft decides to do with it.

Friday, October 10, 2008 1:30 PM
  •  

HIHI,

Alright, thanks for your reply you guys are a great help to me.

Jus

10/10

Friday, October 10, 2008 3:17 PM
  •  

FYI, from some of the information that I have received from Microsoft... Group Chat will be a feature of OCS 2007 R2
    Friday, October 10, 2008 8:07 PM
  • Hihi,

Ok. Noted. So when the product will be release? Do you have any idea?

Jus

11/10

Friday, October 10, 2008 11:02 PM
  • HiHi,

Thanks for your reply, that is very useful, thanks thanks.!

Jus

15/10/08

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 1:47 AM