How to back up if my shared folder is bigger than external backup drive? RRS feed

• Question

• My 'music' shared folder has little over 700GB size and one of my external drive is only 500GB.

From the backup menu, I only able to pick one drive and WHS is throwing an error saying I don't have enough space. I have one more external drive with plenty of space and wonder how to set backup menu to use to other external driver if the first external driver doesn't have enough space?

Thanks,

whereisjim
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 4:27 PM

Answers

• You can't cinfugre server backup to "span" drives, which is what you're really asking to do. Instead, you can back up all but the large share to the smaller drive, and only that large share to the larger drive.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 4:36 PM

All replies

• You can't cinfugre server backup to "span" drives, which is what you're really asking to do. Instead, you can back up all but the large share to the smaller drive, and only that large share to the larger drive.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 4:36 PM
  • Thanks Ken~
    whereisjim
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 5:11 PM
  • Most easy answers:
    - Move files that do not need to be backuped to a folder that you EXclude from the backup
    - Delete files you don't need (no option Ii think)
    - Get a larger external drive

My 'music' shared folder has little over 700GB size and one of my external drive is only 500GB.

From the backup menu, I only able to pick one drive and WHS is throwing an error saying I don't have enough space. I have one more external drive with plenty of space and wonder how to set backup menu to use to other external driver if the first external driver doesn't have enough space?

Thanks,

whereisjim

Have a nice day!
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 5:28 PM