Windows Home Server Nightmare RRS feed

• General discussion

• Here is my story

About a week ago I started to get some odd problems with my home server, couple of file conflict error messages, some slow response times, i check it out in the console and in the error logs in windows and i cannot see any problems, i put it down to a glitch and hope it settles (this is not the first time things like this have happened).  A couple days a go i was trying to watch some of my favourite movies I've recently ripped from DVD and put on my server, odd, it plays a couple seconds and stops, i try another, same again, all recent files, i go to one that's been there for a while and plays fine, hmm, OK, there is something wrong.  I look in the console, windows logs, nothing particularly odd.  I shut the server down, get it out of the cupboard, put in a vga card and boot it up, windows finds a load of errors on one of the drives, when chkdsk has finally finished messing round with it and windows loads the console is telling me one of my drives is unhealthy, I'm also having major problems accessing any data, I'm more than a bit concerned since it's supposed to be able to cope with one drive failing, it's not the system drive so it should all be fine, i run the Western Digital Data LifeGuard Diagnostics on my drives and find the faulty one, yep, it faulty alright. Fine, I shut down WHS and whip the drive out, put in a replacement, no more silliness with chkdsk when booting any more, all looking good? NOPE, wrong, log into WHS and it's having non of it, console will not run, I'm getting a string of error messages, services will not start, backup database has errors, cannot get access to my files, it's a nightmare, when i finally managed to get the console running the drive manager part is missing.  I am soooo disappointed, I've had this server running since shortly after WHS was released, the feature set is brilliant on WHS, but the redundancy part of it sucks.

Well, there you have it.  I suppose it like most things, you don't really know what a product is like until it goes wrong and you need to use those all important features, like redundancy.  Time to buy a DROBO (gulp, expensive) and consign WHS to the bin, maybe I'll rebuild it and use it to run backups of my PC's, it does a decent job of that (probably it's best feature), certainly won't be keeping any important data on it, that's for sure.  Luckily i do keep my really important data burned to DVD's (the irreplaceable stuff), and my movies i can always rip again, but I do have to ask what the point of having that check box for duplication is, if, when one of the drives fails WHS won't let you do anything any more.........  Ho hum, onwards.
    Sunday, April 26, 2009 3:17 PM

All replies

• Here is my story

About a week ago I started to get some odd problems with my home server, couple of file conflict error messages, some slow response times, i check it out in the console and in the error logs in windows and i cannot see any problems, i put it down to a glitch and hope it settles (this is not the first time things like this have happened).  A couple days a go i was trying to watch some of my favourite movies I've recently ripped from DVD and put on my server, odd, it plays a couple seconds and stops, i try another, same again, all recent files, i go to one that's been there for a while and plays fine, hmm, OK, there is something wrong.  I look in the console, windows logs, nothing particularly odd.  I shut the server down, get it out of the cupboard, put in a vga card and boot it up, windows finds a load of errors on one of the drives, when chkdsk has finally finished messing round with it and windows loads the console is telling me one of my drives is unhealthy, I'm also having major problems accessing any data, I'm more than a bit concerned since it's supposed to be able to cope with one drive failing, it's not the system drive so it should all be fine, i run the Western Digital Data LifeGuard Diagnostics on my drives and find the faulty one, yep, it faulty alright. Fine, I shut down WHS and whip the drive out, put in a replacement, no more silliness with chkdsk when booting any more, all looking good? NOPE, wrong, log into WHS and it's having non of it, console will not run, I'm getting a string of error messages, services will not start, backup database has errors, cannot get access to my files, it's a nightmare, when i finally managed to get the console running the drive manager part is missing.  I am soooo disappointed, I've had this server running since shortly after WHS was released, the feature set is brilliant on WHS, but the redundancy part of it sucks.

Well, there you have it.  I suppose it like most things, you don't really know what a product is like until it goes wrong and you need to use those all important features, like redundancy.  Time to buy a DROBO (gulp, expensive) and consign WHS to the bin, maybe I'll rebuild it and use it to run backups of my PC's, it does a decent job of that (probably it's best feature), certainly won't be keeping any important data on it, that's for sure.  Luckily i do keep my really important data burned to DVD's (the irreplaceable stuff), and my movies i can always rip again, but I do have to ask what the point of having that check box for duplication is, if, when one of the drives fails WHS won't let you do anything any more.........  Ho hum, onwards.
    While I understand your frustration, it is necessary to remove the drive via the console as well as removing it physically and the drive should be removed from the console first so Windows Home Server can migrate data to the other drives in the pool. Please see the documentation for Windows Home Server here. Is the "bad" drive still showing as missing? If it is, you will need to remove it so that the secondary shadows can be promoted. This is how duplication works. If; however, your shares were not duplicated then there is nothing to promote but you can still access the data under the \DE folder on the drive you removed providing the drive is readable.

As for the backup database, anytime a drive is "yanked" from the server or a drive fails, there is a good chance the database will be corrupted.

Thank you

Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Sunday, April 26, 2009 4:19 PM