Finally, a successful build... RRS feed

• Question

• ..but it wasn't without headaches.  All part of the learning curve I suppose.

Anyhow, here's what was planned:

Antec 900 case (9 hard drives) w/ 500W power supply
    Intel DG965WH motherboard (6 sata ports, non-raid, gigabit LAN)
    PROMISE SATA300 TX4 (4 sata ports, non-raid)
    Pentium 4, 3.2Ghz, 800Mhz FSB
    2 x 1GB, DDR2 800Mhz RAM
    SAMSUNG HD501LJ 500GB x 3
    Seagate Barracuda ST3500641AS 500GB x 4
    Seagate Barracuda ST3750640AS 750GB
    Western Digital WD7500AAKS 750GB
    Total Storage: 5TB (4.6 TB usable)

The Intel motherboard though didn't make it though.  Why?  Because it is TOTALLY incompatible with Windows Server 2003!  It even says so in the manual and on their website!  If I wasn't partially brain-dead, I would've seen that before I purchased it!  The board I wound up going with is Asus P5KPL-VM and it's working great!  Micro ATX, 4 sata ports, 1333 FSB, and it'll handle a quad-core should I need to go that far.

The build went flawlessly (thanks to a lot of tips I picked up here!  Thank you all!) and I've got 1.8 TB available with 4 500GB drives.  I'll be putting the others in after I copy all of my videos and data off of the RAID they're currently on.

Now the real fun begins.  I am impressed so far, though.  I was playing a video off of the server WHILE I copied more videos to it and there wasn't a hiccup or stutter in the audio or video of the clip I watched!  Looking foward to learning more!

One question though:  Why, when I map a drive to the video folder, does it show only 465 GB (1 hard drive) of space for that folder?

Thursday, November 1, 2007 5:50 AM

Answers

•  

Nice....

I'm also using Antec 900 with 9 drives.  If you haven't done it yet, put another 120mm fan in the front so all drives are cooled.  Antec only provides 2 for the front.

In regard to your question, It's a normal behavior.  it will only show free space of your first data drive and not the total pool size.

Friday, November 2, 2007 12:50 AM

All replies

•  

Nice....

I'm also using Antec 900 with 9 drives.  If you haven't done it yet, put another 120mm fan in the front so all drives are cooled.  Antec only provides 2 for the front.

In regard to your question, It's a normal behavior.  it will only show free space of your first data drive and not the total pool size.

Friday, November 2, 2007 12:50 AM
  • Thanks!

I got a whole new drive cage, so it's strictly a 9 internal drive unit.  Big Blue is the name of this box!  So far, so good with WHS!

Friday, November 2, 2007 2:01 AM
  • Slowly adding more drives.  6 drives (1 x 750, 5 x 500) for 2.96 TB and 55% is available.

The primary use for this machine is to act as a movie server, I moved our entire DVD collection onto it (300+ discs, some are just the movie (kids shows) and others are the whole disc) and yes, I own a copy of each movie on my server.  My wife is a full-time mom and part-time student, so this helps her a lot by giving the kids a diversion.  Movies are played about 8 hours a day, between our kids and their friends.  For some reason, our house is the favorite gathering point!  Wink

My wife calls it a sanity saver!

Friday, November 2, 2007 4:31 PM
  •  

My WHS is also used to store DVD movies, as well as home movies, pictures and music, streaming to 3 laptops and an iMac.  We love the option of accessing our entire movie library with our laptops from anywhere in the home, instead of only from one fixed location where the TV is. 

One thing about the Antec case, since all your drive bays are filled like mine.  I am experimenting putting 10th drive on top of my power supply by putting small silicon padding on the bottom of the drive as well as on the sides, and it seems to be working well.  Drive is not added to the pool as it is only 200gb, but looks like I can stack 3 drives in mine.  They are not secured, but then again, the case is not being moved a lot.  Air from bottom fan seems to be reaching the drive, as it is staying cool.  I still have 1 sata and 2 ide ports open, so If I do decide to stack additional drives this way instead of going the backplane route, likely I will add a fan on the side panel. 

Friday, November 9, 2007 10:12 PM