none
Tracking Delays- MS Project RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, 

I am working on a project where I have to track delays. I have to track the cause of the delay and the duration of the delay. I also need to be able to quickly total what delays belong to who. 

What is the best way to do this?

Please note that this project is setup only by duration. There are no resources assigned to it. 

Thursday, March 26, 2020 7:27 PM

All replies

• Doumitch,

Project has several built-in fields for doing just that, they are called Baseline fields. If you did not set a baseline, (Project > Schedule group > Set baseline), immediately after your project was setup and ready for execution, you need to do so now. You won't be able to track delays that may have occurred up to this point, but after you set a baseline, you can track potential future delays using fields such as, Start Variance, Finish Variance, Duration variance, etc.

You can also use the Tracking Gantt view to see the delays in the Gantt display.

If you did set a baseline at the beginning but the Variance or other baseline related fields don't give you the type of information you think you want, then please elaborate and we'll try to help you.

Hope this helps.

John

Thursday, March 26, 2020 7:44 PM
  • You're going to need to use outline code or text fields to set a responsible person for each activity. Then you can group by the responsible person and roll the sum of the variances up to the group-by summary bars. You can set up a similar field for the cause of the delay.
    Tuesday, March 31, 2020 6:28 PM