MGA error RRS feed

• Question

• This is to request Mircosoft assistance and data.  The problem is a “False Positive” Microsoft determination for my Microsoft Windows Vista, which after a year of use was determined to be non-genuine via the Microsoft Genuine Windows Advantage (GWA) process.  My Vista purchased with my Dell computer is genuine and has always been genuine.  The Microsoft GWA software and process made this incorrect determination which resulted in the reduction of the capability and functions of my genuine Vista OS and made it more difficult to correct the Microsoft Genuine Windows Advantage (GWA) induced problem.  Getting assistance from Microsoft to submit my complaint was extremely difficult if not impossible as I cannot find a complaint office in Microsoft.  I have found a Microsoft engineer reference that there is no “complaint” office in all of the Microsoft websites, but that the customer would be directed to certain areas of the Microsoft web.  I tried to use some of these links to file my complaint, but was unsuccessful.  The specific issues of my customer complaint is in reference to the lack of Microsoft information for customers to identify “False Positive” GWA determinations and the lack of Microsoft assistance in correcting a Microsoft induced problem.  Microsoft is not very helpful in identifying and resolving the problem that Microsoft created.  The problem becomes a burden to customers, and the issue I am reporting is a prime example.  Despite reporting the problems and multiple communications with many Microsoft technicians, I had to devote an extraordinary number of hours plus performing series of tasks before identifying the problem and finding a fix to the Microsoft induced problem. 

Consequently, I would request Microsoft to:

1.     Provide a list of all the Vista degraded or stopped functions when the Microsoft GWA process determines that the customer’s Vista OS is non-genuine.  I was not aware that my printer would not work after the GWA “False Positive” reduction of my Vista OS.  I spent over an hour trying to get my printer working.  I never found any information on the Microsoft help web sites that stated that a customer's printer would not work when they had a "false" Microsoft determination that their Vista was not genuine.  Then when I tried to go to my Vista control panel to check the connection, I had no control panel access.  Plus I wasted even more steps just to identify the “False Positive” GWA problem.  It took me another 2 hours to determine that I had a GWA reduction of my Vista OS.  I had another family member, who used my computer more frequently than I do but had a lot less software experience, observed but unluckily ignored the initial GWA pop-up warnings. 

2.    Show me where a customer can get Microsoft help to identify a GWA “False Positive” Microsoft Vista non-genuine determination. Microsoft self help did not help me much to identify that it was the problem, even though my Vista was genuine.  In the Microsoft GWA FAQ, there is no question for potential “False Positives”.  There is no question in the Microsoft FAQ:  What should I do with my computer or software if I think the product is genuine?  (Self help http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/default.aspx?displaylang=en). 

3.    Provide a current list of known events that cause a GWA “False Positive”.  I have read that even a Microsoft update of Vista can cause a “False Positive” determination if the update locks ups during installation and fails to install completely.  Microsoft has noted that any number of third party software and hardware installations can cause a GWA “False Positive”.  Also request information on what a customer is to do if the GWA “False Positive” determination is inflicted repeatedly again by Microsoft.  I know my Vista is genuine, so I do not want to spend any more hours on fixing a Microsoft-induced error. 

4.     Show where a customer can get a Microsoft help to fix a GWA “False Positive”; Microsoft software reduced my Vista functionality, which in turn reduced my ability to fix the Microsoft GWA error.  I ran about 10 different processes and had to repeat some processes before finally finding a fix to a problem created by Microsoft. Genuine Windows Advantage (GWA) Software to include Software Licensing Service appears to provide the most trouble.

5.     Provide a process and place for customers to file complaints and to obtain information that a customer cannot find on the Microsoft website.  Request Microsoft show the current location that customers may file a complaint with Microsoft.  A Microsoft website link to a complaint department would be helpful and a good start.  Is this the place?

Thank you

Monday, March 16, 2009 4:04 PM

Answers

• Dear displaynameisarequiredfieldandagreetoleagalterms,

Thank you for your post. In response to your questions:

1. I am not sure, but this information might be available on the Windows Vista support site. Please check there, and in the Vista forum that is linked through that site.

2, 3 & 4. Information and assistance on Windows Vista Validation problems can be obtained through the Windows Vista Validation Issues forum.

5. For information and assistance on information you cannot find on the website, please visit this page to contact customer service.

Regards,
    Jenifer
    • Marked as answer by JeniferA Tuesday, March 17, 2009 4:46 PM
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 4:46 PM

All replies

• Dear displaynameisarequiredfieldandagreetoleagalterms,

Thank you for your post. In response to your questions:

1. I am not sure, but this information might be available on the Windows Vista support site. Please check there, and in the Vista forum that is linked through that site.

2, 3 & 4. Information and assistance on Windows Vista Validation problems can be obtained through the Windows Vista Validation Issues forum.

5. For information and assistance on information you cannot find on the website, please visit this page to contact customer service.

Regards,
    Jenifer
    • Marked as answer by JeniferA Tuesday, March 17, 2009 4:46 PM
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 4:46 PM
  • I could not find all the information that I requested by browsing and searching the Windows Vista support site and the Windows Vista Validation Issues forum.   I contacted Microsoft customer service before and did not get the information that I requested in this similiar request for information.  Microsoft keeps redirecting me to other Microsoft sites instead of getting me the information that I requested, just like your response.   
    Friday, April 17, 2009 3:11 PM
  • You can reset your Windows Vista activation by performing the following:

1. Click on the Start button and in the Start Search box type in: slui.exe 4

2. Press the Enter key on your keyboard.

3. Select your Country.

4. Follow the instructions for phone activation.

Carey Frisch
    Friday, April 24, 2009 3:14 AM