Enabel Folder Duplication - can't check RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Folks. I'm configuring my first home built (by someone else) WHS. I added a drive to the box. I then tried to "add" in storage tab. It told me the drive wasn't partitioned or preped or something. I RDP'ed into the server and formatted the new drive. I then went back to the WHS GUI and clicked "add" in the interface. I choose "Backup" and it presented me with a list of folders and a drop down for where I wanted to back them up to. I choose the new internal drive. Something didn't seem right. The choices didn't look like the choices I've seen in the HP or Acer instructions. Now when I go into shared folders I can't choose "Enable Folder Duplication" I'm confused. Did I already choose it when I installed the drive. Did I make the wrong choice when I installed the drive. 
    I also noticed that when I connected the workstations the agreement stated Bla, Bla, Power pack 1. Do you think the differances are due to it being power pack 1? I want the extra drive to mirror the 1st drive. 

Thanks,
    Timmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm 
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 11:29 PM

All replies

• Hi Folks. I'm configuring my first home built (by someone else) WHS. I added a drive to the box. I then tried to "add" in storage tab. It told me the drive wasn't partitioned or preped or something. I RDP'ed into the server and formatted the new drive. I then went back to the WHS GUI and clicked "add" in the interface. I choose "Backup" and it presented me with a list of folders and a drop down for where I wanted to back them up to. I choose the new internal drive. Something didn't seem right. The choices didn't look like the choices I've seen in the HP or Acer instructions. Now when I go into shared folders I can't choose "Enable Folder Duplication" I'm confused. Did I already choose it when I installed the drive. Did I make the wrong choice when I installed the drive. 

Yes.  Drives used for backups are not part of the storage pool.  You need to remove the drive as a backup drive, then add it to the storage pool.

I also noticed that when I connected the workstations the agreement stated Bla, Bla, Power pack 1. Do you think the differances are due to it being power pack 1? I want the extra drive to mirror the 1st drive. 

Thanks,
    Timmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm 

Wednesday, October 28, 2009 1:07 AM
  • Thank you. I did as you said and I was able to enable folder duplication. Now I'm not sure which feature is better folder dup or backup.
    Thanks,
    Timmmmmmm
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 2:54 AM
  • If there is a chance that you want to have your drive external to "grab and go" - you'll need to use the server backup feature. However, this is not an automated process. You will need to do this manually every time.
    If the disk is meant for internal storage, definitely add it to the storage pool. You will be able to use folder duplication and it is automated through the DE Migrator.
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 8:31 PM