none
Link multiple instances of the same subproject into one Master project RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have 3 sub-projects, each with its own Plan (MPP File). I need to create a master project plan which can have multiple instances of the said 3 sub-projects at any given time. For example, At the start of the actual work, there can be 2 instances of ProjectA, 1 instance of ProjectB and 2 instances of ProjectC. All of these need to have its own schedule in the main Master project. And I may need to change the names of few tasks or even make few of the tasks in each Active/inactive based on the requirements. 

I tried adding these 3 sub-projects into my Master project, but  when I make any changes into the name or schedule, since it is linked with the main template for each, it saves the changes to the 3 main MPP files. This should not happen for me. I need to insert as many instances of the same 3 sub-projects and also be able to modify the schedules independently of the main MPP files.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks

Abr

• Edited by AbrmE Thursday, November 2, 2017 7:09 AM
    Thursday, November 2, 2017 7:09 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I am not sure what you want to achieve.

But when adding subprojects into your master, you can unselect "Link".

You can also disable the link afterwards, when you open Information dialog for inserted subproject summary task, tab advanced and unlink your project there.

Is that what you need?

Barbara

Thursday, November 2, 2017 7:16 AM
  • Hi Barbara,

I tried the unlink option, but it spat out some error/warning stating that the tasks are linked in each and unlinking them will affect the tasks. I did ignore this warning and proceeded further, but the created sub-project doesn't seem to have the task links(predecessors/successors) information and the timeline for the tasks show as red dotted line. Updating the % work complete / % complete has no e ffect on the Gantt chart.

Thanks

Abr

• Edited by AbrmE Thursday, November 2, 2017 11:27 AM
    Thursday, November 2, 2017 7:27 AM
  • Hi,

sorry, I forgot to ask for the version you are using. With Project 2016, there is an issue since the very beginning - seems not yet to be solved.

This error is displayed, if a task has either more than one successor or more than one predecessor. Right now, I have no idea how to solve.

Unlinked project are what you need in my opinion, but it is only working with Project 2016 with max one successor and predecessor per task. Sorry!

Barbara

Friday, November 3, 2017 7:08 AM