i'm failing XP Geniune Advantage when i PURCHASED my XP! RRS feed

• Question

• I bought my copy of XP about 4 years ago when I went to Indiana University.  Every 9 months or so I reformat hard drive just to get everything started fresh again.  But when i go to windowsupdate.microsoft.com I am getting the page that says my copy is failing Genuine Advantage.  I saw on another thread that someone else is having this problem also with the same VLK.  I have the disc right here with me THAT I PURCHASED!! What's going on??  I used the diagnostic tool and it's saying i'm Geographically Blocked PID.  I live in KY, i only moved 3 hours away from Bloominton where IU is.

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0062.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Geographically blocked PID
    Validation Code: 13
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-92Y7F-M7KDW-TPCRY
    Windows Product Key Hash: BWGplrgOgIPwwgn2MczRmTKlNVA=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-640-0134841-23321
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    ID: {CA89449C-5037-419E-AC50-CC23CFB70B56}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.36.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

Vista BRT Data-->
    Grace Flag: N/A
    Commit: N/A
    Reboot Flag: N/A
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Wgaer.exe Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Wgaer.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-2968-80070002_B4D0AA8B-470-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: proxy.finelight.com:880
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{CA89449C-5037-419E-AC50-CC23CFB70B56}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0062.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-TPCRY</PKey><PID>55274-640-0134841-23321</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-299502267-688789844-1202660629</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Gateway</Manufacturer><Model>Solo5300</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Gateway</Manufacturer><Version>22.07</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="31"/><Date>20010131000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>5FFC3707018400C6</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><BRT/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Thursday, October 18, 2007 7:28 PM

Answers

• When a Windows XP product key is reported lost or stolen to Microsoft, they issue a new product key (and invalidate the old product key) to the original purchaser.  Therefore, you would need to contact the university and explain to them the situation.  You can print your MGA report and show it to them for verification that your product key is no longer valid.

Thursday, October 18, 2007 9:26 PM

All replies

• You were only permitted to use the university-issued Volume License software while you attended the university.  Since you are no longer associated with the university, the software is now invalid.  Volume licensed software is not transferrable to individuals.

In order to resolve your non-genuine licensing issue, please visit: www.microsoft.com/genuine and click on "Validate Windows". When validation fails, click on the Get Genuine button which will provide information on how to acquire a WGA Kit.

Thursday, October 18, 2007 7:48 PM
  • This is just so microsoft. A take your money and run company.  I purchased this software with intent of actually using it.  I didn't see anything when I bought it saying it would no longer become useful after I graduated.  Do you honestly think this is good business practice?  Since this is a Geographical incident how can i get this activated?  Do i need to just connect my machine up to a wifi hotspot next time i'm in Bloomington and activate my windows? 

And I am actually still associated with the university.  I still attend IU football and basketball games and am part of the alumni association.  So really my product key shouldn't be invalid seeing as how you put it.

Thursday, October 18, 2007 8:18 PM
  • The university purchased the Volume License from Microsoft.  You need to discuss this matter with the university since that are the ones responsible for adhering to and administrating the licensing agreement.

Thursday, October 18, 2007 8:26 PM
  •  

Ok can i hear from a real Microsoft employee and not the *** boy above me?
    Thursday, October 18, 2007 8:33 PM
  •  

why am i being censored?? just making the correct abbreviation for microsoft? and calling you an over zealous advocate
    Thursday, October 18, 2007 8:57 PM
  • A Google search revealed your non-genuine Windows XP product key has been widely (and illegally) distributed all over the internet: http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ADBF_enUS242US242&q=92Y7F%2dM7KDW%2dTPCRY 

Thursday, October 18, 2007 9:04 PM
  •  

that still doesn't take away from the fact that i bought this copy from IU
    Thursday, October 18, 2007 9:10 PM
  • When a Windows XP product key is reported lost or stolen to Microsoft, they issue a new product key (and invalidate the old product key) to the original purchaser.  Therefore, you would need to contact the university and explain to them the situation.  You can print your MGA report and show it to them for verification that your product key is no longer valid.

Thursday, October 18, 2007 9:26 PM
  • IU students (full- or part-time) own the license for the current product releases when they leave or graduate from IU.

That's the License Agreement.  So save your canned answers, they are of no help.
    Tuesday, October 23, 2007 9:34 PM
  • Hi Stuart!

Sounds like you're experiencing the revoked Indiana University's (IU) Windows XP Volume License Key.  Here's the deal - Microsoft has revoked the Windows XP Volume License key that was provided to students from 2000-2002.  This key was the same for all students, and it was leaked out to software pirates and distributed all over the place.  Thus, Microsoft has restricted anyone who uses this key from passing Windows Genuine Advantage while outside the state of Indiana.  Since you moved to KY you're now seeing the effect of the key revocation.

IU has put together some more detailed information and now has a tool to help those in your sitaution.  As has been posted (after a bit of back and forth Wink  )- IU's Enterprise Licensing Agreement allows those who purchased software under the agreement to retain use of the software after leaving the University.

Check out this IU Knowledge Base article http://kb.iu.edu/data/aviz.html for more information.  Sounds like they have a tool available to help you out but you will most likely need to cotnact the University Information Technology Services Help Desk at 812-855-6789 to get the problem resolved.

Good Luck!
    -Mark

Saturday, January 5, 2008 6:58 PM