none
Can HPC support cluster machines with 256 GB of RAM each RRS feed

• Question

• We are about to purchase 15 machines (nodes) with 24 processors and 256 GB of RAM in each node which is needed for our simulations. One of our intentions was to use the HPC 2008 OS with its Job Scheduler functionality, only to discover that HPC Server 2008 only supports up to 128 GB of RAM as I understand it.  So my question, is there any way around this 128 GB of RAM limitation? Is it possible that this is just an arbitrary limitation set by Microsoft and could be lifted with a configuration change or do I have any other options?

Thanks,

Brian

Monday, September 20, 2010 4:11 PM

Answers

• The Windows Server 2008 R2 HPC Edition operating system supports up to 128 gigs of ram. This is not a configurable option.

The HPC Pack 2008 R2 software supports the additional memory available when run on an Enterprise of Datacenter edition operating system.

Friday, February 4, 2011 9:08 PM

All replies

• Not sure, but I think this is a license limit. You can install up to 2TB in Enterprise or DataCenter versions.

Also remember there is another limit of 4 sockets (processors, not cores) per node in HPC.

Regards

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 8:26 AM
  • The Windows Server 2008 R2 HPC Edition operating system supports up to 128 gigs of ram. This is not a configurable option.

The HPC Pack 2008 R2 software supports the additional memory available when run on an Enterprise of Datacenter edition operating system.

Friday, February 4, 2011 9:08 PM