Error 0x8004050a RRS feed

• Question

• I ran Vista Beta 2 for about 6 months and recently reinstalled my retail copy of XP Pro SP2 for better game performance. It activated fine. But after a recent Windows Update, it prompted me for activation at the Windows login screen and won't let me get to my desktop without activating. I can activate by either Internet or using the activation number provided by a CS rep and get the success screen, but then I see:
    A problem is preventing Windows from accurately checking the license for this computer. (0x8004050a)

Then I get kicked back to the login screen.

I tried a repair install. Now activation told me I had installed with the same key too many times (possibly because of all my System Restores earlier to figure out which Windows Update was breaking my TCP stack). I called and got the rep to give me an activation number, and all was well.

Then I stupidly included that same update (don't know which it was) when I started installing patches. Same issue struck after rebooting, error and all, whether I use Internet or phone activation.

Please please help! I think my best bet right now is to do another repair install, go through activation again, and make sure I exclude any updates having to do with activation, but that doesn't protect against future updates that involve activation (which is how I think MS got me this time). Surely there's a better long-term solution.
    Friday, March 16, 2007 7:11 AM

Answers

• Hi Dnl2ba,

Your question is spacific to Product Activation and unfortunetly, these forums are for Windows Genuine Advantage issues so your question is out of scope of our support. But the Good News is, Microsoft provides unlimited free support for OS Install and Product Activation issues. 

For XP Home: Go to http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&prid=3219&gprid=37013

For XP Pro: Go to http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&prid=3518&gprid=185522

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Program Manager

----------------------------------------

All Users: Please go to http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1255325&SiteID=25 before posting a question.

Friday, March 16, 2007 7:52 PM
  • Sorry, I thought it was related to WGA because it only started prompting me for activation again after (I assumed) another WGA update. I wasn't aware that other kinds of Windows updates would require reactivation.

I called the number on the Help and Support page. Sadly, I get no free support because my copy of XP Pro is OEM (my PC is home-built, and I bought XP with a hard drive, IIRC). Does that mean I'm SOL and my copy of XP is a frisbee?

BTW, I did another repair install and looked at the recent updates on the list. None from March obviously entails re-activation or WGA, so I'm not sure what patches I can safely install without getting this error again upon activation.
    Friday, March 16, 2007 8:46 PM
  • Dnl2ba,

You can avoid Windows Genuine Advantage by doing a clean installation of XP onto the computer, and then just setting your Updates to Automatically download but choose if or when to install.

The good news is that you will be able to refuse individual updates that pertain to WGA and that may help avoid the problem you already experienced two times.

The bad new is that by choosing to not install WGA, you will not be entitled to download and install lots of "nice-to-have"  programs like IE7, WMP11, DX10, etc.

Saturday, March 17, 2007 3:57 PM
  • Got the same thing: Exactly!!!! After downloading and installing WGA.

All the software on the machine is legal. Microsoft activation was offline. Could not activate by using LAN, Phone, or Phoning and entering the code. Thought I would phone Microsoft Tech support. They refuse to help me because it is an OEM install. They will help me only if I PAY SOME MONEY. If I don't want to pay I have to search the forums. So I'm searching the forums only to come to this thread where it seems no-one has answers for this problem. So I am going to get angry very soon because why should I PAY for assistance on legal software if it was a *** install of WGA that caused the problem. So Microsoft if you care? you can phone me or contact me. I'm really getting fedup because my client runs a small business and they cannot work at the moment.

Rudolph Thomas

TIGME.COM

info@tigme.com

Monday, July 2, 2007 10:07 AM
  • Rudolph Thomas,

Are you able to start and run Windows, either in normal mode or Safe Mode?

If so, please follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of  Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Monday, July 2, 2007 2:13 PM
  • Nope I cannot log into Windows via normal way, Safe mode nor Command prompt. The machine is in total lockdown mode. I took out the harddrive I'm busy copying all my clients information from the drive, format a new drive and re-installing Windows from scratch can't think of anything else to do. I'm keeping the old drive as is because I would still like to know how to fix it if possible.

Thanks Dan at IT Associates.

Monday, July 2, 2007 8:22 PM
  • I have this one,
    WindowsXP Home Edition
    OEM Software <- In Black

The label look similar to the one below if it displays correctly...

Large Manufacturer Pre-installed Windows COAs

Enlarge | View Previous Versions

For Windows software that comes pre-installed by a large manufacturer (also known as an Original Equipment Manufacturer or OEM) on a computer, the COA should be affixed to the body of the computer. The COA includes the 25-character product key, which would be required if a reinstallation is needed. More information. View previous versions and compare now.

Monday, July 2, 2007 8:28 PM
  • Rudolph Thomas,

You are doing what I have done several times when some sort of file corruption has negatively affected the licensing files on an XP installation.  It is a rare happening, but it does happen.

There is some info in the MS KB regarding renaming several licensing files and copying original files from the installation CD, but these techniques have never worked for me, although I have read posts in other support forums where people have said that they do work sometimes.

Good Luck!

Tuesday, July 3, 2007 3:11 PM

All replies

• Hi Dnl2ba,

Your question is spacific to Product Activation and unfortunetly, these forums are for Windows Genuine Advantage issues so your question is out of scope of our support. But the Good News is, Microsoft provides unlimited free support for OS Install and Product Activation issues. 

For XP Home: Go to http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&prid=3219&gprid=37013

For XP Pro: Go to http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&prid=3518&gprid=185522

Thank you,
    Darin Smith

All Users: Please go to http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1255325&SiteID=25 before posting a question.

Friday, March 16, 2007 7:52 PM
  • Sorry, I thought it was related to WGA because it only started prompting me for activation again after (I assumed) another WGA update. I wasn't aware that other kinds of Windows updates would require reactivation.

I called the number on the Help and Support page. Sadly, I get no free support because my copy of XP Pro is OEM (my PC is home-built, and I bought XP with a hard drive, IIRC). Does that mean I'm SOL and my copy of XP is a frisbee?

BTW, I did another repair install and looked at the recent updates on the list. None from March obviously entails re-activation or WGA, so I'm not sure what patches I can safely install without getting this error again upon activation.
    Friday, March 16, 2007 8:46 PM
  • Dnl2ba,

You can avoid Windows Genuine Advantage by doing a clean installation of XP onto the computer, and then just setting your Updates to Automatically download but choose if or when to install.

The good news is that you will be able to refuse individual updates that pertain to WGA and that may help avoid the problem you already experienced two times.

The bad new is that by choosing to not install WGA, you will not be entitled to download and install lots of "nice-to-have"  programs like IE7, WMP11, DX10, etc.

Saturday, March 17, 2007 3:57 PM
  • Got the same thing: Exactly!!!! After downloading and installing WGA.

All the software on the machine is legal. Microsoft activation was offline. Could not activate by using LAN, Phone, or Phoning and entering the code. Thought I would phone Microsoft Tech support. They refuse to help me because it is an OEM install. They will help me only if I PAY SOME MONEY. If I don't want to pay I have to search the forums. So I'm searching the forums only to come to this thread where it seems no-one has answers for this problem. So I am going to get angry very soon because why should I PAY for assistance on legal software if it was a *** install of WGA that caused the problem. So Microsoft if you care? you can phone me or contact me. I'm really getting fedup because my client runs a small business and they cannot work at the moment.

Rudolph Thomas

TIGME.COM

info@tigme.com

Monday, July 2, 2007 10:07 AM
  • Rudolph Thomas,

Are you able to start and run Windows, either in normal mode or Safe Mode?

If so, please follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of  Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Monday, July 2, 2007 2:13 PM
  • Nope I cannot log into Windows via normal way, Safe mode nor Command prompt. The machine is in total lockdown mode. I took out the harddrive I'm busy copying all my clients information from the drive, format a new drive and re-installing Windows from scratch can't think of anything else to do. I'm keeping the old drive as is because I would still like to know how to fix it if possible.

Thanks Dan at IT Associates.

Monday, July 2, 2007 8:22 PM
  • I have this one,
    WindowsXP Home Edition
    OEM Software <- In Black

The label look similar to the one below if it displays correctly...

Large Manufacturer Pre-installed Windows COAs

Enlarge | View Previous Versions

For Windows software that comes pre-installed by a large manufacturer (also known as an Original Equipment Manufacturer or OEM) on a computer, the COA should be affixed to the body of the computer. The COA includes the 25-character product key, which would be required if a reinstallation is needed. More information. View previous versions and compare now.

Monday, July 2, 2007 8:28 PM
  • Rudolph Thomas,

You are doing what I have done several times when some sort of file corruption has negatively affected the licensing files on an XP installation.  It is a rare happening, but it does happen.

There is some info in the MS KB regarding renaming several licensing files and copying original files from the installation CD, but these techniques have never worked for me, although I have read posts in other support forums where people have said that they do work sometimes.

Good Luck!

Tuesday, July 3, 2007 3:11 PM
  •  Darin Smith MS wrote:

Hi Dnl2ba,

Thank you,
    Darin Smith

Not at all helpful. Unless you're prepared to part with US$59, any option requires a Product I.D., which I can't get to as there's this stupid error standing in the way.

"Windows Product Activation

A problem is preventing Windows from accurately checking the license for this computer. Error Code: 0x8004050a "

It all started with replacing a faulty motherboard. After exhausting many avenues trying to get the machine to stop rebooting at startup, with a message when trying to get into 'safe mode' saying 'setup could not complete in safe mode', I resorted to a re-install of Windows. Great, all drivers and software re-installed, tested and working. When doing final shutdown before returning unit to customer, it started installing updates. This morning I thought I'd check the system once more before packaging......voila!

Go through the hoops of a telephonic activation and I get the above error. Sadly the nice folks in Mumbai aren't equipped to address this kind of issue. Call support they tell me...."but you'll have to call them on Monday", they only function 'business hours' Monday through Friday, today is Saturday.

Stuck with a capital "F".

P.

Friday, March 28, 2008 11:52 PM
  •  

I've just had the misfortune of going through all this myself with error 0x800405a.

Called to actvate and had to wait till transfered from automatic phone activation till I spoke to a real person. Went through the same process to come up with the same error that I couldget not answer for. Told to contact support.

It's obvious that this problem has been going on for way too long.

I'm starting to get the impression that Microsoft doesn't really care and all they are interested in is the money to fix a faulty product.

Saturday, April 19, 2008 3:49 PM
  • I've been very hesitant to install IE7 AGAIN and delayed it for a few days when MS support was available.

Done all I'd previously done on setting up XP home and updates etc EXCEPT IE7.

Just gave it a go expecting to have to phone MS support to get them to tell me how to fix this problem, but to my suprise, IE7 has installed and is working perfectly!

I'm starting to wonder if this error is caused by XP activation on the same day of IE7 install.

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 5:33 AM