none
Registry Permissions Suddenly a Problem RRS feed

  • Question

  • Not sure I've posted this in the right place or if it should be in the "Common Language Runtime..." forum.

    So with this new Windows 7 "You do not have permissions to shut down this computer" thing going around I've come up with something that seems related. A .net app that was working fine now has registry permissions issues.

    We've fixed the shutdown problem using the gpedit fix shown in the above link, but now the two Windows 7 machines we have that have been running an app we wrote in vb.net do not have permissions to update the registry. The app has been running just fine for months.

    The odd thing is that a program from 2000 is able to update the same registry keys (font keys) that our program is trying to update, and doesn't seem to have an issue.

    Anyone have any clue as to why?

    Thanks,
    Ken

    Tuesday, February 11, 2020 1:42 PM

Answers

All replies

  • I saw that, didn't see anything specific though. It mentions the Adobe suite which none of our computers having the problem has it installed. They have earlier versions of Adobe Suites but nothing that would currently be ending updates.

    Was there something specific you saw that would explain the registry inaccessibility of the .net program?

    Thanks!
    Ken

    Tuesday, February 11, 2020 2:18 PM
  • I would ask here:

    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/home?forum=w7itprosecurity


    Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

    Wednesday, February 12, 2020 1:39 PM
    Moderator
  • Thanks Richard, I might do that. I've not managed to figure out how to run it as administrator (it's a ClickOnce app) but I have run VisualStudio as Admin and doing so the it works in the dev environment. So, it would appear to be a Windows 7 permissions issue.

    It works fine in Windows 10.

    Oh! And turns out that older program I mentioned was already running as administrator. Another hint, I think, pointing at some sort of change to the Windows 7 permissions stuff.

    • Edited by KenKrugh Wednesday, February 12, 2020 2:23 PM added a sentence
    Wednesday, February 12, 2020 2:15 PM
  • Might also try asking for help over here.

    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsdesktop/en-US/home?forum=winformssetup

    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsdesktop/en-US/home?forum=windowsgeneraldevelopmentissues

     

     



    Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

    Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

    Wednesday, February 12, 2020 2:19 PM
    Moderator
  • Thanks, Dave. I think I'll give that "general" thing a try.

    As another point of note we had a Windows 10 spare computer (clean load) on which the app runs fine, though I just noticed that it is awaiting an update that is "Feature update to Windows 10, version 1903." So maybe, when that's updated the app will no longer run.

    I've also tried upgrading one of the Windows 7 machines to Windows 10 but the problem still exists that the app can't access the registry.

    Thanks again guys.

    • Marked as answer by KenKrugh Monday, February 24, 2020 2:09 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by KenKrugh Monday, February 24, 2020 2:09 PM
    Saturday, February 15, 2020 2:23 PM
  • Turns out the fix we applied (found on many a web page and mentioned in the fist post of this thread) was causing our other permissions issues.

    As described to me: This fix, essentially, turns off UAC, BUT it doesn't rally turn it off, it's still active but not showing any message that UAC is doing the blocking. Or something to that effect.

    Basically, we undid the above fix and everything is back to normal. Could be, as also described in #25 here, in a quote from a supposed Microsoft Employee, Adobe fixed the problem with an automatic update.

    We made no other changes to the systems other than undoing the above fix and everything, including shutting down, is working fine.

    In case the shut down thing rears it's head again, another fix to the shut down thing that worked without changing the UAC is also in the group policy:
    Windows Settings > Security Settings > Local Policies > User Rights Assignments > Double click (or right click, Properties) Shut down the system and add the necessary users to the list.
    • Marked as answer by KenKrugh Monday, February 24, 2020 2:09 PM
    Monday, February 24, 2020 2:09 PM