Multiple Problems- New Installation of Build 7495- Remote Access, Connector, User Account creation RRS feed

• Question

• Built a new computer with following config 2 days ago

AMD Phenom II x4 3.2 GHz, GIGAbyte 890GXgmaing board, 4GB DDR3 dual channel, WD 2TB HDD.

ROuter- D Link DIR 655- N band  router has SPI firewall and MAC filtering

Installed WHS Vail beta 7495 in 11 min. Set up homegroup. Created 1 user account. Configured for Remote access including dashboard. OS communicated with my UPNP router and indicated successful configuration.

CLIENT computers- Tested two so far- both have Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 installed.

1- Vista Ultimate x64 with the SP1 installed,

2- XP SP3 on a netbook.

Problems.

Major

1. Server not discoverable on network- http://servername/connect does not work. I can type the IP address and access the server.

2.Connector software does not install. When I connect to the server using http://serveripaddress /connect and download the connector file and run it- the wizard  is unable to find the server but when IP address is specified- states that it will install .net framework 3.5 sp1 ( already installed on both clients) but gets stuck and gives an error " unspecified network error, can not connect this computer to network, please contact the person who manages your network". Tried doing this without fire wall- didnt work. The client computers themselves have no problems accessing the network meanwhile.

3. Remote Access:Tried to access the server using my account which has dashboard privilages enabled. When I click on the "connect" button in the webpage interface. it asks me to download active x control. did that, updated to the latest RDP client from microsoft website ( different for XP and vista). However despite this, I can not connect to it on the XP computer- it states " unable to connect to Homeserver" and on the Vista computer I get an error message saying " RDP file is not digitally signed, can not start remote desktop connection". Changed the Internet security settings to lower levels on the intranet zone but this did not resolve the problem.

POST UPDATE ISSUES.

After the new installation OS downloaded 24 updates which were installed but caused these issues

1. Unable to use remote access at all- now get this error "Server Error in '/Remote' Application". Another forum user has posted a similar error but he chose to reinstall the OS. Is there a fix.

2. Computer gets stuck when creating a new user account. After putting in the username and password for a new account the computer gets stuck at the folder level privilages page for 40 min without the folder prompts showing up.

Minor Issues.

1. Unable to change workgroup. Is there a way to do this or do I have to change the workgroup on all my client computers for them to be visible to each other easily.

2.Time and date mismatch- I read the release notes about PST settings. Do I need to set my client computers to match the PST time. this will play havoc with all my calender applications on clients. Is there a workaround.

Thanks in Advance to those who choose to respond.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 3:21 PM

All replies

• This looks like an excellent bug report.  I'd file it as-is so the team can see it.
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 4:14 PM
  • 1. Server not discoverable on network- http://servername/connect does not work. I can type the IP address and access the server.
    2.Connector software does not install. [...]
    3. Remote Access:Tried to access the server using my account which has dashboard privilages enabled. When I click on the "connect" button [...]

POST UPDATE ISSUES.
    After the new installation OS downloaded 24 updates which were installed but caused these issues
    [....]

Minor Issues.
    1. Unable to change workgroup [...]
    2.Time and date mismatch[..]

Lots of problems for which I can not give a the 'fixing' answers I'm afraid. Some pointer in the right direction then maybe...?

1. & 2.
    Looks to me you have some name resolution problem in you network configuration.
    As long as you can not access your server by name, connector installation will keep failing. Try to solve this first?

3. Remote access:
    For the XP-client, please see this thread?
    Not sure what could causes the problem with the Vista machine however, it looks similar...

POST UPDATE ISSUES.
    I would say something went wrong with your 2nd installation. Try reinstalling from scratch. I recommend installing with only a clean system drive - removing any existing partitions prior to server installation?

Concerning your minor issues. These are specific for this VAIL preview (beta):
    1. VAIL preview does not allow you to change the workgroup name.
    2. Only during the initial server installation server and clients should be in the same time zone to get them in sync. Once connected you can change the timezones to the original setting (or else I think you will have to wait for at least 8 hours before being able to connect the clients)

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 10:15 PM