I do not want to convert my external drive to NTFS RRS feed

• Question

• I see all these comments that say I have the option to choose not to convert my external drive to NTFS. None of those answers say how to NOT do this. I cannot locate in the wizard the option to not do it. How exactly do I tell the wizard to not attempt to convert my drive to NTFS? THANKS!!

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 1:21 PM

Answers

• What wizard? If OneCare suggests that you convert the drive, you simply ignore it and proceed. It must be NTFS if you are using Centralized backup, though, as far as I recall.

-steve

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 2:23 PM

All replies

• What wizard? If OneCare suggests that you convert the drive, you simply ignore it and proceed. It must be NTFS if you are using Centralized backup, though, as far as I recall.

-steve

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 2:23 PM
  • I am talking about "Windows Live OneCare Backup Configuration". It looks like a wizard to me.

I changed it from centralized backup to "choose location" and it behaves the exact same way.

Either way I do it, it totally does not give me the option to proceed without changing the target drive file system to NTFS, however it says that I don't have to actually change the file system.

If I close the window that says it is changing my file system and it goes back to the backup configuration window. If I click cancel, it does the same thing. If I click ok, it goes ahead and tries to change the file system, then fails and goes back to the configuration window.

There is no way that I can see to successfully configure a backup without allowing it to change my file system on the target drive.

I am not going to change the file system on the target drive for my own reasons.

If anyone has a solution to this problem that allows me to keep my FAT32 file system, please advise.

This will probably prevent me from using the backup feature of this software until I add a second, blank, NTFS formated, drive.

jdh399

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 3:01 PM
  • I will have to grab a FAT32 drive and test this out, as I haven't seen the configuration (and, yes, that is a wizard) step that prompts to convert the drive. I do know that you can absolutely backup to a FAT32 external drive connected via USB (and probably Firewire) as long as it isn't Centralized backup.

-steve

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 6:32 PM