Why sip.mydomain.com why not im.mydomain.com RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Why most of the documents say that we need sip.mydomain.com as an external DNS A record for Access Edge Server. Why not something else.

Can’t I use im.mydomain.com as an external DNS A record for Access Edge Server? I can then add the following external SRV record:

_sip._tls.mydomain.com

Port: 443

Host offering this service: im.mydomain.com

Please assist me because I am totally lost.

With best regards,

Muhammad

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 2:56 PM

Answers

•  

the OC Client is hard coded to look for _sip._tls.domain.com and sip.domain.com when attempting autologin.  I don't think there is a way to change this behavior.  This is just the way microsoft have designed the product.  Do you have a technical reason you cannot use sip.domain.com?

Cheers,

Joe

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 6:40 PM

All replies

•  

the OC Client is hard coded to look for _sip._tls.domain.com and sip.domain.com when attempting autologin.  I don't think there is a way to change this behavior.  This is just the way microsoft have designed the product.  Do you have a technical reason you cannot use sip.domain.com?

Cheers,

Joe

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 6:40 PM
  • Thanks Joe, you really solved my big problem which I had in my mind since two weeks. I couldn’t figure it out.

I was confused since they were keep emphasising that we should use sip.mydomain.com as external DNS A record for Access Edge Server and _sip._tls.mydomain.com as external SRV record for Access Edge Server.

Now I am clear after your reply.

It means that I need the following records on external DNS server:

DNS A Record: sip.mydomain.com xx.x.x.x (Public IP)

SRV Record: _sip._tls.mydomain.com, port: 433, host offering this service: sip.mydomain.com

Right, Joe?

Thanks,

Muhammad

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 7:24 PM
  • Muhammad,

You have it correct.  There are a few other DNS entries you will have to make, but those two specifically will be required for client autoconfiguration. 

If you don't have it already, i would suggest downloading the Edge Server deployment guide.  The DNS section 2.2 highlights all the DNS records you will need.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=ed45b74e-00c4-40d2-abee-216ce50f5ad2&displaylang=en

Cheers,

Joe

Thursday, February 28, 2008 1:51 PM
  • Thanks Joe, All is set now. Our edge server is working fine and now our users can use Communicator externally as well.

I do have another question if you don't mind.

I have one Edge Server (all roles on the same server). During deployment process I did not select the “Enable Federation” feature on the Access Edge Server. Now we have decided to enable the Federation Feature for our partner companies.

Do I have to run the “Configure Edge Server Wizard” again in order to enable Federation feature? Or there is some other way to enable Federation manually to avoid running setup again?

Thanks,

Muhammad

Thursday, February 28, 2008 7:22 PM