Invalid file handle error when trying to copy files from server RRS feed

• Question

• Help!!! When I try to open or copy some of my files from my server I get the error "invalid file handle". That is all I get, can't open on the server or copy it off the server.

Friday, August 10, 2007 12:57 AM

Answers

• Try hooking it up to another computer.  You should see a hidden folder on that drive called DE.  Inside there, you will see your shares.  The files you are looking for should be in there.

Saturday, August 18, 2007 1:09 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Can you try to remove then add the share folders permissions for the user/s account within the WHS console to see if that solve the issue.

My best.

Friday, August 10, 2007 8:00 AM
  • Possibly you have another session / connection / program that has the files opened. To resolve you could try closing the other session / connection / program or reboot the server

Friday, August 10, 2007 10:28 AM
  •  

I tried removing and re-adding permissions through the console and through computer management (the RW groups). This had no effect. I am able to open and copy newer files, but files that have been on the server for 3+ months are displaying this behaviour. I have tried restarting the server and both laptops in the home network. Any other ideas? Thanks in advance for the assistance.
    Wednesday, August 15, 2007 4:36 AM
  • Hi,

RD to your server, Start | Run | CMD the nrun this command:

chkdsk /F /R

See if that fix the issue.

My best.
    Wednesday, August 15, 2007 5:14 PM
  •  

sgtjustice: You said "but files that have been on the server for 3+ months are displaying this behaviour" sgtjustice do you have  build CTP or build RC1?
    Wednesday, August 15, 2007 5:27 PM
  • This particular server is actually still on the beta 2 version, hadn't had a chance to update it yet, thx I should have mentioned that in the original post.

Friday, August 17, 2007 2:03 AM
  • So, I've got the RC running, but am also having this issue with almost half the files on my server.  I've run chkdsk and rebooted, I've tried resetting permissions on the folders all to no avail.

Any other ideas?

Friday, August 17, 2007 3:50 AM
  •  

I tried this and failed, the realized this is running chkdsk on c, all data is on d by default, I am rerunning chkdsk on d, I'll repost results tomorrow, thx for input - probably should have tried this first
    Friday, August 17, 2007 4:18 AM
  • chkdsk completed, problem still exists - I did a little more digging, I had an external hard drive added into the storage pool and the external hard drive kept shutting down, so I removed it from the storage pool I think this may coincide with the files that I'm having trouble accessing, files that existed when that hard drive was part of the pool vs files after it was removed. With that in mind, any other ideas on how to "recover" these files? Some of the pictures still ahve thumbnails intact, but won't open or allow copying. Thanks again for any ideas/input.

Saturday, August 18, 2007 12:32 AM
  • Try hooking it up to another computer.  You should see a hidden folder on that drive called DE.  Inside there, you will see your shares.  The files you are looking for should be in there.

Saturday, August 18, 2007 1:09 AM
  • I hooked up the external hd to my laptop and was able to pull all of the problematic files without any further issues

Saturday, August 18, 2007 4:55 AM