which course for novice RRS feed

• Question

• Heya all, Im currently considering doing a MCP on a server course however Ive got one problem- I havent any experince in using servers. I know very very basic knowledge about them - which course would the best to take for a novice? Please bear in mind I only want to take 1 course and want to learn about settingup and using a windows server??

I was suggested this course may be good for a novice user like me http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/syllabi/2273B.aspx - however there are prerequisits which I dont have - I only have very very basic knowledge of servers??

Anyone please help????
    • Edited by new214 Monday, August 25, 2008 4:10 PM add more detail
    Monday, August 25, 2008 4:02 PM

Answers

• Dont worry so much about the pre-requisites.  Take the course. 

I will advise you, however, that taking a single course is no replacement for actually working with the product nor is it somehow going to make you instantly competent overnight.  This course will simply establish a formal knowledge on some of the basic features of the Server system.

There is no replacement for experience.  Ergo, get some experience.

There are two ways that you can do this.  The first way is to take advantage of the TechNet hosted Virtual Labs which are available at no cost and do not require you to have any local hardware to use the lab environment.

The second way is to setup a PC and then install a trial (or TechNet or MSDN) version of WIndows Server on the box.  Go through various scenarios with the product.  Practice setting security policies.  Setup a domain.  Configure DHCP and DNS.  Understand the differences between WINS and DNS.

Get some time on the products working with the subsystems.  It will take some time and I would not even think about certification until you have more time and experience on the systems.
    - Wayne S. Anderson MCITP, MCSE, MCT http://blog.avanadeadvisor.com/blogs/waynea
    Monday, August 25, 2008 7:50 PM

All replies

• Dont worry so much about the pre-requisites.  Take the course. 

I will advise you, however, that taking a single course is no replacement for actually working with the product nor is it somehow going to make you instantly competent overnight.  This course will simply establish a formal knowledge on some of the basic features of the Server system.

There is no replacement for experience.  Ergo, get some experience.

There are two ways that you can do this.  The first way is to take advantage of the TechNet hosted Virtual Labs which are available at no cost and do not require you to have any local hardware to use the lab environment.

The second way is to setup a PC and then install a trial (or TechNet or MSDN) version of WIndows Server on the box.  Go through various scenarios with the product.  Practice setting security policies.  Setup a domain.  Configure DHCP and DNS.  Understand the differences between WINS and DNS.

Get some time on the products working with the subsystems.  It will take some time and I would not even think about certification until you have more time and experience on the systems.
    - Wayne S. Anderson MCITP, MCSE, MCT http://blog.avanadeadvisor.com/blogs/waynea
    Monday, August 25, 2008 7:50 PM
  • This is great advice that Wayne has provided you. I would further like to stress that the exam geared toward Windows Server 2003 (70-290) just doesn't deal with installing and administrating. Further review of the objectives show that you will have to have proficiency in; such as Terminal Services and managing physical and logical devices, etc. Make sure you know and understand all the objectives asked of you before sitting the exam. These objectives can be found at: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exams/70-290.aspx
    Michael D. Alligood,
    MCITP, MCTS, MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+, Network+
    www.theitclassroom.com
    Monday, August 25, 2008 9:24 PM
  • thanks for the advice, you mentioned on the second way set up a pc and install a trail Technet or MSDN version of windows - would this be possible to do on a old laptop pc. Ive got a old laptop which has xp and with a good spec, still running - would it be ok to install a trial version of window server on this?Where can I download a trial version of windows server? Arent there any free versions of windows server out there?

If I do install a trial version of windows server - would this wipe out my xp system i.e. will I still be able to use my laptop as normal in xp?

I dont really have access or capacity to buy another pc :(

In the first method about virtual labs - do these labs work/run through the internet?
    Tuesday, August 26, 2008 2:47 PM
  • Assuming you  have Windows XP Professional installed, you can use Microsoft's Virtual PC 2007 free. I have heard you can install in on the Home edition, I just haven't tried to.
    Michael D. Alligood,
    MCITP, MCTS, MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+, Network+

The I.T. Classroom Blog
    Start. Research. Plan. Perform. End. Test. Evaluate.
    Tuesday, August 26, 2008 6:11 PM
  • well Ive only got home edition - but I think I can use it on xp home (will try that soon).

about the second way - you mentioned to set up a pc and install a trial Technet or MSDN version of windows server -

1) would this be possible to do on a old laptop? Ive got a old laptop which has xp home on it and with a good spec - would it be ok to install a trial version of window server on this?

2) Where can I download a trial version of windows server? Arent there any free versions of windows server out there?

3) If I do install a trial version of windows server - would this wipe out my xp system i.e. will I still be able to use my laptop as normal in xp?

• Edited by new214 Wednesday, August 27, 2008 1:47 PM add more detail
    Wednesday, August 27, 2008 1:04 PM
  • new214 said:

well Ive only got home edition - but I think I can use it on xp home (will try that soon).

about the second way - you mentioned to set up a pc and install a trial Technet or MSDN version of windows server -

1) would this be possible to do on a old laptop? Ive got a old laptop which has xp home on it and with a good spec - would it be ok to install a trial version of window server on this?

2) Where can I download a trial version of windows server? Arent there any free versions of windows server out there?

3) If I do install a trial version of windows server - would this wipe out my xp system i.e. will I still be able to use my laptop as normal in xp?

There is no free version of Windows Server as this is an enterprise product and frankly a huge investment from Microsoft.  I would advise going the virtual PC route if all you have is the one laptop.  This allows you to avoid 'wiping out' the previous Windows Xp installation. 

VPC is free for use.

As far as the trial version of Windows Server itself is concerned, check out these resources:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/bb736012.aspx

And specifically for Windows Server 2003, I only see the SBS edition still hosted as a trial.  WS 2008 however is available.  The TechNet labs are still up for Windows Server 2003 also.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 3:21 PM