Products and Default Price List RRS feed

• Question

• I need help understanding the Default Price List field on a product. 

Here's a scenario.  I have two price lists defined, Retail and Wholesale.  I add some products and create price list items for them on the retail list. I add some other products and add them to the wholesale price list. But I don't set the default price list for any products.

My understanding (and I think CRM help supports this) is that the default price list is optional and that provided a product has a price list item for a price list that matches the price list of an opportunity or an order etc, the product can be added to a  record.

So, if I have an order with a retail price list I would expect to be able to add products that have price list items on the retail price list.

What I find, in practice, is that I can't add any products to opportunities etc unless I set a Default Price List - which is weird because this is not a mandatory field.

And when I set a Default Price List of say retail, I find that products that only have retail price list items can be added to an opportunity with a wholesale price list. I sort of understand this, because I guess that is what the default price list is for. But I don't understand why products that don't have a default price list can't be used.

I have tested this on three CRM systems, one with no rollups installed and the others with UR 8 installed.

Am I missing something really simple here or could there be a bug?
    Friday, January 22, 2010 8:21 AM

Answers

• Hi, I don't recall the behavior of CRM 3 but I've always advised users to select a Price List when adding products to Opportunities.  I've configured a few systems to default the Price List when an Opportunity is created by associating a default price list with the Account record and then having users create Opportunities from the Account as the field is mapped and will auto-populate. 

Best Regards, Donna
    • Proposed as answer by Donna EdwardsMVP Thursday, January 28, 2010 3:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Monday, February 1, 2010 3:57 PM
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 3:39 PM
  • I understand. If you think something should be working differently, I encourage you to post it to Microsoft Connect if you haven't already posted it.  Have a good weekend.

Best Regards, Donna
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Monday, February 1, 2010 3:56 PM
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 4:41 PM

All replies

• Feridun, I think the behaviour you have observed is the expected behaviour of CRM 4.0. I agree, it's not the behaviour that makes logical sense to you or me, but it probably did to Microsoft's engineers when they designed this part of the application. I get the impression that rather than start with a fresh design, the design of the CRM product catalog is probably based on one of Microsoft's ERP products and the quirks have been copied too.

I have also found it strange that if I associated an opportunity with one price list, I can add opportunity items from any price list -- very confusing.

But I didn't know that if products did not have a default price list, then they couldn't be added to opportunities. This seems strange, but given the complexity and strangeness of the product catalogue, it's not entirely unsurprising.

Neil
    Friday, January 22, 2010 8:52 AM
  • Neil,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I think that some of the CRM design came from GP (Great Plains).

With regard to your last paragraph, that is the essence of my puzzlement. I'm almost certain that it did work the way I expected in CRM 3.0.
    Friday, January 22, 2010 9:06 AM
  • Hi, I don't recall the behavior of CRM 3 but I've always advised users to select a Price List when adding products to Opportunities.  I've configured a few systems to default the Price List when an Opportunity is created by associating a default price list with the Account record and then having users create Opportunities from the Account as the field is mapped and will auto-populate. 

Best Regards, Donna
    • Proposed as answer by Donna EdwardsMVP Thursday, January 28, 2010 3:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Monday, February 1, 2010 3:57 PM
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 3:39 PM
  • Donna,

Thanks for your reply.  I agree with you regarding defaulting price lists - but my issue is after that. Unless a product itself has a default price list it can't be used on a sales record - which I think is wrong.
    Friday, January 29, 2010 5:57 PM
  • I understand. If you think something should be working differently, I encourage you to post it to Microsoft Connect if you haven't already posted it.  Have a good weekend.

Best Regards, Donna
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Monday, February 1, 2010 3:56 PM
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 4:41 PM