Replacing failing drive in WHS V1 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a custom built WHS V1 (PP3) that contains 8 2TB hard drives. That uses all the SATA ports available on the system board.

The server is nearly full to capacity so out of the 16TB of drive space, there is only a few hundred GB free left (all folders are marked for redundancy, so I only actually have half that amount of data).

I was looking through the eventviewer and noticed a disk error entry. I ran WD Diag and it showed one of my drives has a smart error and needs to be replaced. Interestingly, WHS reports all drives as healthy.

My question is this:

I have not tried it yet (new 2TB drive should be here tomorrow), but I am assuming if I try to remove the offending drive, WHS will not let me because I won't have enough storage space to do so.

Is my best course of action:

• Power down the server and just remove the drive, WHS will probably complain a drive is missing, but no data should be lost due to redundancy (I hope), but then I will hook up my new drive to it and add that to server storage. I would think then redundancy would be built back up again, and things would return to normal (similar to how a raid rebuild would go)
    • Remove the drive using the WHS console (assuming WHS lets me based on my storage consumption) and then add the new drive and let it rebuild (looking for verification if this is a valid option)
    • My least favorite option is to add a bunch of USB based drives to the storage pool to give me enough space to remove the bad drive and add the new drive to replace it

It wouldn't be an issue at all if I had more SATA ports, but I don't at the moment, so I need to make due with what I have. I suppose another option still would be to install a SATA card to one of the PCIe slots to give me more ports and just add the new drive, and remove the old drive, but if I can do it without that, I would rather.

Matt Kleinwaks - MSMVP MSDN Forums Moderator - www.zerosandtheone.com
    Monday, August 22, 2011 8:58 PM

Answers

• Connect the new (bare) drive to your server using a USB-to-SATA bridge device.
    • Add the new drive to server storage.
    • Remove the failing drive from server storage if possible (this may fail, depending on the issue the drive is having).

If the drive removes successfully:

• Shut your server down.
    • Physically remove it.
    • Install the one you connected via the bridge device in it's place.
    • Boot your server and proceed as if nothing had happened.

If it didn't remove successfully:

• Shut your server down.
    • Physically remove the failed drive.
    • Boot youre server.
    • Remove the "missing" drive, accepting any warnings about loss of files or backups (they're really already lost at this point). You should get a report of what files will be lost.
    • After it's been removed, run a repair on the backup database.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by kleinma Friday, August 26, 2011 12:16 AM
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 12:47 PM

All replies

• Connect the new (bare) drive to your server using a USB-to-SATA bridge device.
    • Add the new drive to server storage.
    • Remove the failing drive from server storage if possible (this may fail, depending on the issue the drive is having).

If the drive removes successfully:

• Shut your server down.
    • Physically remove it.
    • Install the one you connected via the bridge device in it's place.
    • Boot your server and proceed as if nothing had happened.

If it didn't remove successfully:

• Shut your server down.
    • Physically remove the failed drive.
    • Boot youre server.
    • Remove the "missing" drive, accepting any warnings about loss of files or backups (they're really already lost at this point). You should get a report of what files will be lost.
    • After it's been removed, run a repair on the backup database.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by kleinma Friday, August 26, 2011 12:16 AM
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 12:47 PM
  • Ken, thanks for the info. I will give it a go tonight since I got the drive in today. Lost data should not be an issue, since I am running everything with redundancy on (unless for some reason data is corrupted in the bad drive and that corrupted data is propagated over to the good drive that is redundant). Also I do not use the PC backup feature of WHS, as I use Windows 7 and find the backup feature in that is much better than the one offered by WHS. With my old PC, I did try to use the WHS backup feature and tried to do a recovery once, and it was a total nightmare that failed on multiple levels).

I really would like to migrate everything over to a WHS V2, but the lack of drive extender and limited new features makes me wonder if such a move is going to be worth it. However being stuck at 2GB drives with the V1 server is less than ideal, since newer high capacity drives are hitting the market.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 7:13 PM
  • Drive removed without issue, so I took it out and moved the replacement drive from USB to SATA.
    Friday, August 26, 2011 12:17 AM
  • I had a similar issue that cannot be resolved using the above, and hope to get some help.

My failing drive would not be allowed to be removed from the server storage pool. I had plenty of storage so it could be removed with space left for files on storage.
    It gave me errors about some files and even when I selected the option to just remove it, it still won't let me remove it.

So I bought a new 2TB drive, powered down the server, pulled the problem drive out and replaced it with the new one, then powered on the server.

When I booted into the console, WHS is still looking for the problem drive and it shows in the storage tab, although it says 'Missing' next to it. I tried to remove it and it tell me that I cannot because of "file conflicts prevented the hard drive removal", nothing more than that. I added me new drive to the storage pool successfully (over 60% remaining storage space), but of course my server is having a spaz attack and wants to know where the problem drive is.

Can anyone help me? Can I fix this through an RDP session?

Please help.

Thanks.

• Edited by Globespy Tuesday, June 19, 2012 4:29 AM
    Tuesday, June 19, 2012 4:26 AM
  • same problem as the Globespy...  anyone resolve this or open a new thread i'm unaware of. thx in advance.
    Monday, September 30, 2013 5:50 AM