Creating quick views forms between entities RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys

A quick question to save some fruitless hours!

I want to create a quick view form between the Case entity and Order (or I imagine the order products entity) as we use cases to allocate won work to engineers

I have followed the various instructions and the Quick view form does not appear in the case main form related to the order entity and the quick view form created there (with a subgrid containing the order products).

The question is, should this work, or is it related to the flow of data through entities?

Thanks in advance for the help

Kerry  

Saturday, March 22, 2014 6:20 PM

Answers

• You can only use Quick View where there is a direct 1:N relationship between the two entities.

You seem to have a Customer field on Order, and a Customer field on Case, but this does not link the Case to the originating Order, it just makes them "sister" records under the Customer - how would the system know which Order to show the details of, when  Customer might have more than one?

You need to create a 1:N relationship from Order (primary, or "parent") to Case (related, or "child"). Part of creating this relationship will be to specify a lookup field such as "Originating Order" to then add to the Case form.

You would then insert another Quick View form on the Case form and specify the Originating Order lookup field, Order entity and Order Quick view form (you can leave the existing Customer one alone, as that is probably useful in its own right)

Hope this helps.
    Adam Vero, Microsoft Certified Trainer | Microsoft Community Contributor 2011
    UK CRM Guru Blog

• Marked as answer by kerryburn1 Monday, March 31, 2014 8:52 AM
    Sunday, March 23, 2014 2:14 PM

All replies

• High level steps:
    - create a Quick View form on the parent entity (Order in your scenario)

- include fields and subgrids on that Quick View form. Save and Publish

- edit the form for a child entity (Case for you)

- make sure the child record form has the lookup field for the parent entity (my best guess is that this is missing in your scenario, especially if the Case is created through some kind of automation, plugin, workflow etc)

- insert the Quick View form, and associate it with the lookup field. When the lookup value is changed, the QV form is refreshed with the right data. Save and Publish

Hope this helps.
    UK CRM Guru Blog

Saturday, March 22, 2014 8:12 PM
  • Adam,

I followed the steps and this did not work, I am assuming that the customer field is the lookup field.  I have created the form in order (not order products) and added customer to the fields there, in the case entity when I attempt to choose a quick view form, my new form is not there.

I include some screen shots in the hope you may be able to help

Kerry  

Sunday, March 23, 2014 1:12 PM
  • You can only use Quick View where there is a direct 1:N relationship between the two entities.

You seem to have a Customer field on Order, and a Customer field on Case, but this does not link the Case to the originating Order, it just makes them "sister" records under the Customer - how would the system know which Order to show the details of, when  Customer might have more than one?

You need to create a 1:N relationship from Order (primary, or "parent") to Case (related, or "child"). Part of creating this relationship will be to specify a lookup field such as "Originating Order" to then add to the Case form.

You would then insert another Quick View form on the Case form and specify the Originating Order lookup field, Order entity and Order Quick view form (you can leave the existing Customer one alone, as that is probably useful in its own right)

Hope this helps.
    UK CRM Guru Blog

• Marked as answer by kerryburn1 Monday, March 31, 2014 8:52 AM
    Sunday, March 23, 2014 2:14 PM