Remote Access Ports RRS feed

• Question

• I have forwarded my router port 80, 443 and 4125. What is port 4125? Do I need to open this? And what about Port 3389 for RDC?

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 2:27 AM

Answers

• From what I understand port 4125, in WHS is use for Remote Web Workplace connection for the Remote Desktop Protocol, which is by default at  port 3389/TCP on other Microsoft platforms

What this means is, when you log into your WHS via http://yourserverip, you click on computer> connect to your home server. Then you are looking at your console. Or click on other Names of your computer that is on your network for remote access. However you must get connector software working on your clients before you can see your other computers.

Assuming you have your connector working… when you try to remote desktop into your client ensure, you have the followings… allow remote access enable, firewall open for port 3389, and have a password. (this is for the client side) I would try this on your LAN first before moving to your WAN.

Port 3389 is Remote Desktop Protocol for connecting Remote Desktop Client. If you have use with XP for connecting to other computer, that’s what that is. 

Essentially you don’t need Port 3389 open because of port 4125. Initially I thought it might be slow, however I find the connection speed is not that bad. Plus you have one less port to open for the outside world. Honestly I still prefer using RDC because I find the speed better and I can copy and paste.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 2:47 AM
  • You’re welcome. To display your control panel, right click on your taskbar>properties>Start menu>Customize>Advance> then look for control and display as a link.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 3:53 AM

All replies

• From what I understand port 4125, in WHS is use for Remote Web Workplace connection for the Remote Desktop Protocol, which is by default at  port 3389/TCP on other Microsoft platforms

What this means is, when you log into your WHS via http://yourserverip, you click on computer> connect to your home server. Then you are looking at your console. Or click on other Names of your computer that is on your network for remote access. However you must get connector software working on your clients before you can see your other computers.

Assuming you have your connector working… when you try to remote desktop into your client ensure, you have the followings… allow remote access enable, firewall open for port 3389, and have a password. (this is for the client side) I would try this on your LAN first before moving to your WAN.

Port 3389 is Remote Desktop Protocol for connecting Remote Desktop Client. If you have use with XP for connecting to other computer, that’s what that is. 

Essentially you don’t need Port 3389 open because of port 4125. Initially I thought it might be slow, however I find the connection speed is not that bad. Plus you have one less port to open for the outside world. Honestly I still prefer using RDC because I find the speed better and I can copy and paste.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 2:47 AM
  • Thanks 1ne. I will try it on the lan first. I can't seem to find the control panel.
    Tuesday, April 17, 2007 3:38 AM
  • You’re welcome. To display your control panel, right click on your taskbar>properties>Start menu>Customize>Advance> then look for control and display as a link.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 3:53 AM
  • ....or type control panel from the command prompt.
    Tuesday, April 17, 2007 8:07 PM