Should you exclude client PC's 2nd HD from backup when it contains only the "My Documents" folder RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all:

I was wondering whether you should exclude a client PC's 2nd HD from backup when it contains only the contents of the "My Documents" folder (more precisely, when the second hard disk contains the target of the My Documents shortcut, and nothing else).

My thinking is that since "My Documents" (or just "Documents" in Vista) is just a folder shortcut in any case, and since both XP and Vista treat "My Documents" as being on the Desktop (in Vista, under Desktop|User Name), that having WHS backup only your primary HD in this case will cause it to also back up the target of the My Documents shortcut, whatever physical drive it might be on.

Any thoughts?
    Friday, May 11, 2007 3:41 PM

Answers

• I wouldn't. As far as I know redirected folders are just hard links and they may not work if the target disk is excluded. The second disk should be included so that the hard links work after restore.
    Friday, May 11, 2007 4:06 PM

All replies

• I wouldn't. As far as I know redirected folders are just hard links and they may not work if the target disk is excluded. The second disk should be included so that the hard links work after restore.
    Friday, May 11, 2007 4:06 PM
  • Thanks much for your prompt reply -- makes sense to me!
    Friday, May 11, 2007 5:35 PM