none
USB Device Failure RRS feed

• Question

• I had a Maxtor OneTouch USB drive enclosure fail on me today (actually my daughter kicked it).  It seems like the hard drive is ok but the power controller on the device is history.

Is it possible to take the SATA drive and put it in another enclosure and then plug it back in and everything work properly (ie. will WHS detect the currently missing hard drive in another enclosure and be happy) or am I just royally you know what?

Also, my photos which I had set to be duplicated are not available (they show but when clicking on them they don't appear) and the status of the folder lists as failing.  If I had it set on duplication for that folder shouldn't they be available if one of the drives is missing but the other is listed as healthy?

Thanks
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 8:08 AM

All replies

• Dear Mr. Ashton.

If you have a "RAID" system I don't know what the result of the sata-drive is!!

Single HD:
    If the HD don't give any unusual nois of it it would be helpfull if you run a diagnostic tool from the manufactor (you need the model Number for the right tool) of the hd. If it is physikal OK you should run "scandisk" or "checkdisk" of the HD.
    With best Regards
      Chris
    • Proposed as answer by Chris-Viper00 Saturday, August 22, 2009 10:21 AM
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 10:06 AM
  • Hi,
    if the drive is detected in another enclosure or not depends from how the enclosure presented the disk to the WHS. If the disk ID is altered during this process, it will not work.
    In this case you have to remove the missing drive through the console. (Eventually add a new disk before.)
    This should give you back access to the duplicated pictures, of which the primary tombstone in the share now points to the missing drive.
    Btw. - this is one of the many reasons, why USB disks in the storage pool are not very recommendable.
    If there are files missing, read them from another system. This is described in the FAQ How to recover data after server failure.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 12:13 PM
  • I had a Maxtor OneTouch USB drive enclosure fail on me today (actually my daughter kicked it).  It seems like the hard drive is ok but the power controller on the device is history.

Is it possible to take the SATA drive and put it in another enclosure and then plug it back in and everything work properly (ie. will WHS detect the currently missing hard drive in another enclosure and be happy) or am I just royally you know what?

Also, my photos which I had set to be duplicated are not available (they show but when clicking on them they don't appear) and the status of the folder lists as failing.  If I had it set on duplication for that folder shouldn't they be available if one of the drives is missing but the other is listed as healthy?

Thanks

To clarify Olaf's answer in regards to your last question:  that depends (and, obviously in your case, no).  The reason is due to which copy of the duplicated data is the primary shadow and which one is the secondary shadow.  If the secondary shadow is on the drive that fails, then yes, the data will still be available (because the primary shadow is still in tact).  However, if the primary shadow is on the drive that fails (which is your case), you cannot open the file until the secondary shadow (the one that is still available) is promoted to the primary shadow.  You do that by removing the failed drive from the Console at which point WHS automatically promotes all of the secondary shadows (but only those that are related to the primary shadows that were on the failed drive) to the primary shadows, and then creates new secondary shadows on another drive (space permitting of course).
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 12:57 PM