Reporting piracy without having purchased from a site RRS feed

• Question

• I'm wondering how to do this. The site was linked in a spam email sent to me. As soon as I saw the email, I knew it was bogus, but figured i'd look at the site, more for a laugh than anything else.

The online piracy report forms seem to want licence keys from software purchased from them though. I already have legal copies of Vista and Windows 7, so I obviously have not purchased from this company.

The site in question is: softwarestore - oem - 7 . ru/

There are also various things on their site that flag it as being a dodgy company. They mention using (and also link to) an activator to get round activation if the software fails to activate, or shows up as non genuine, and while selling oem copies of software, mention being able to move it to other computers in their faq, which I am aware is not allowed.

If someone from microsoft (Darin?) could forward the details of this company to whoever deals with them, I would be greatful.

I am also including the whois records for the domain, which may help with tracking them down, although the trading adress is not listed on the whois details:

domain:     SOFTWARESTORE-OEM-7.RU
    nserver:    ns1.1232kxcvnk.ru.
    nserver:    ns2.2132kcsdcd.ru.
    nserver:    ns3.3435mdsdkm.ru.
    state:      REGISTERED, DELEGATED, UNVERIFIED
    person:     Petr I Golikov
    phone:      +7 495 3452535
    e-mail:     
    registrar:  NAUNET-REG-RIPN
    created:    2010.08.21
    paid-till:  2011.08.21
    source:     TCI

Whois info obtained from  http://whois.domaintools.com/softwarestore-oem-7.ru

Sunday, February 27, 2011 6:25 PM

Answers

• "csc2ya" wrote in message news:0f312fad-acb0-4d07-8a18-30e96153ae86...

I'm wondering how to do this. The site was linked in a spam email sent to me. As soon as I saw the email, I knew it was bogus, but figured i'd look at the site, more for a laugh than anything else.

piracy@microsoft.com  - you can include anything you like in the email, and it *does* get looked at, but the chances are that you'll only get form-letter responses.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by csc2ya Monday, February 28, 2011 3:11 AM
    Sunday, February 27, 2011 9:29 PM

All replies

• Reporting piracy at http://www.microsoft.com/howtotell/reports/report.aspx is geared towards the victim rather than the observant user.  I tried to report a site that had abolutely no location information at all.  I had to fake a State and some other fields in order to file the report.  I used the Describe why you believe this software is pirated field to explain the faked answers.  It was a hassle. 

Another route is to use the Microsoft Suggestion link.  I assume the info gets forwarded as needed.

http://microsoftcorp.suggestionbox.com/

I look forward to how others have dealt with this.  Some of the pirates bring out the pit bull in a person and the urge to report is strong.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Sunday, February 27, 2011 6:36 PM
    Answerer
  • "csc2ya" wrote in message news:0f312fad-acb0-4d07-8a18-30e96153ae86...

I'm wondering how to do this. The site was linked in a spam email sent to me. As soon as I saw the email, I knew it was bogus, but figured i'd look at the site, more for a laugh than anything else.

piracy@microsoft.com  - you can include anything you like in the email, and it *does* get looked at, but the chances are that you'll only get form-letter responses.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by csc2ya Monday, February 28, 2011 3:11 AM
    Sunday, February 27, 2011 9:29 PM
  • Thanks...i've sent an email to that address with the site info, so that they can look into it.
    Monday, February 28, 2011 3:11 AM
  • For future reference, that email address just bounces back "no longer monitored" and you have to use the other awkward processes.

Does make one wonder how serious they are.

• Proposed as answer by BFeely Tuesday, July 29, 2014 9:12 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Noel D PatonModerator Tuesday, July 29, 2014 9:42 PM
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 6:21 PM
  • The reason I believe they shut down the email address is that it was getting DDOS'd to death - presumably by the counterfeiters.

There's no point in having a server that can't be accessed because of attacks.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Tuesday, July 29, 2014 9:42 PM