Windows broken RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have an windows home server but the registry got corrupted.
    I already tried to load windows in the last known good configuration but that was no solution. I wanted to repair windows to the recovery console but disappointing enough that was nowhere to be found on the disk. I did found the option to re-install my home server but since I bought an western digital velocity raptor in advance I of course want to use my new disk. So, how can I restore my shared folders etc. to my new installation? I left the "crashed" hard disk in its original state.
    If I re-install windows home server can I afterwards copy it to the new disk?

Thanks in advance,

Glenn

Since I really need a solution rapidly I also posted my question here:
    http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php?showtopic=9368
    Grandma is coming and ofcourse she wan't to see our pictures and movies from our last vacation.. you know the drill :)

Friday, July 31, 2009 5:23 PM

Answers

• I indeed plugged out the primary drive and then continued with the new one. Well, I tried. What I did in the past:
    I bought the home server with 2 1TB disks.
    Then I added another 1 TB disk.
    Then I added a 2 TB disk and removed the other 1 TB trough te console and unplugged it.
    from that moment I had 2x 1 TB and 1x 2 TB
    Now, the primary drive should be considered as crashed (it isn't, but I don't want to use it anymore for the WHS OS, I wan't to use the velocity raptor drive)
    I didn't create any external back-ups because I thought it doesn't mather if the windows drive crashes (since I read or thought to read that you can add the drives in the pool to a new installation and WHS could read out the information from those drives) If there would be a way to create an indentical copy of the primary disk and copy it to the velocity raptor that would be fine. Either way, I want to run the OS from the velocity raptor.

Frankly, you won't get much (if any) benefit by having the VelociRaptor drive in your server as any drive (primary or otherwise) because the bottlenecks will be the network, not the speed of the hard drives.  I would suggest you find a different use for it (a new desktop PC for example).

However, since that's how you want it, you need to make sure your VelociRaptor drive is the first drive WHS sees when it tries to install.  If you have all SATA drives (which is what it sounds like because there are no PATA drives that size), then you need to A) provide the necessary drivers so that all 3 drives show up on the Load Additional Storage Drivers screen and B) make sure your VelociRaptor drive is in the first SATA port on your mobo (probably labeled "port 0" or something similar).
    • Marked as answer by moppentappers Saturday, April 17, 2010 3:48 PM
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 11:47 PM

All replies

• If you want to use your new hard drive, then swap it for the current drive and do a new installation. Then copy everything you find on the old drive in <drive>:\DE\Shares\Etc. to the shares on the reinstalled server. You should copy to the shares (\\server\sharename), BTW, not to the drive the shares are on (D:).
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, July 31, 2009 8:23 PM
  • Well, I managed to re-install my windows home server successfully. Except of course that all the other programs are gone. Is your way of migration still best practice? And It is a bit confusing. If i install and boot WHS from the new drive, how can the disks be combined as before? I don't assume that the pool is still working if they are not configured in windows home server.
    Friday, July 31, 2009 9:51 PM
  • Well, I managed to re-install my windows home server successfully. Except of course that all the other programs are gone. Is your way of migration still best practice?

I would have treated it as a failed primary hard drive.  I would have swapped out the old primary drive with the new one and done a Server Reinstallation (which would keep the data in your storage pool in tact).  (Frankly, I'm surprised Ken suggested a New Installation.  Ken, care to clarify why you said that?  I know you normally wouldn't have.)

And It is a bit confusing. If i install and boot WHS from the new drive, how can the disks be combined as before?

If you get WHS to recognize all of your hard drives on the Load Additional Drivers Screen and do a Server Reinstallation, it takes care of itself.

I don't assume that the pool is still working if they are not configured in windows home server.

Friday, July 31, 2009 11:14 PM
  • I can't remember that I had that option when I installed WHS on the velocity. I must say that I disconnected all the other drives to be sure nothing can happen with them so now I try again with all the drives connected except the one who should be considered as failed according to your text.

Saturday, August 1, 2009 4:45 AM
  • When I try to install WHS on the velocity I can only choose "New installation" And I can't find a button that says add additional harddrives.
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 4:57 AM
  • When I try to install WHS on the velocity I can only choose "New installation" And I can't find a button that says add additional harddrives.

Before you get to the New Installation/Server Reinstallation drop-down menu, you should see the Load Additional Storage Drivers screen.  Did you get that window?
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 3:06 PM
  • Yes, I did get that window. What am I supposed to do there? I assumed it was only to select drivers for certain hardware
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 3:08 PM
  • Yes, I did get that window. What am I supposed to do there? I assumed it was only to select drivers for certain hardware

It's to load drivers for any hard drives that do not automatically show up.  If you don't see all of your hard drives on that screen, you need to load drivers there so that WHS can see every drive.
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 3:43 PM
  • In the screen where I can select the harddisk I want to install WHS on I can see all the harddisks attached to the machine
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 3:44 PM
  • In the screen where I can select the harddisk I want to install WHS on I can see all the harddisks attached to the machine

There is no screen where you get to choose which hard drive to install WHS on (it decides for you).  If you see all of your hard drives on the Load Additional Storage Drivers screen and you still don't get Server Reinstallation, then your primary drive is not the first drive WHS sees.  Can you please give a detailed description of all of the hard drives (especially the VelociRaptor drive) currently in your server (types, sizes, which ports they are plugged into, etc)?
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 6:18 PM
  • [URL=http://img18.imageshack.us/i/dsc01608m.jpg/][IMG]http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/5035/dsc01608m.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
    In this screen I can pick the drive I want to install WHS on. The 2 TB drive and 1 TB drive are a part of the pool and the drive of 150 GB (refering to manufacturer advertisement) is the velocity raptor. the drive that is already enquipt with WHS is not connected. I will now also plug in the WHS drive and start the setup and see what it brings me.
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 7:50 PM
  • Thank you very very mutch! Found it! But, I do wan't to know what to do when the windows drive is just toasted. That is the situation I simulated was exactly like that. Another question, I was fooling around with the option to use a harddrive as protection for flood or fire but now the home server is in the list of computers. I am saving money for that but a DAS or NAS system for all those harddisks is not cheap so thats going to take a while.
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 8:06 PM
  • Well, now I am a bit dissapointed. I selected the velocity raptor but it just got installed on the same drive as it was on before. I will make a new picture with all the drives on the screen and one with the ports..
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 9:15 PM
  • [URL=http://img18.imageshack.us/i/dsc01608m.jpg/][IMG]http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/5035/dsc01608m.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
    In this screen I can pick the drive I want to install WHS on. The 2 TB drive and 1 TB drive are a part of the pool and the drive of 150 GB (refering to manufacturer advertisement) is the velocity raptor. the drive that is already enquipt with WHS is not connected. I will now also plug in the WHS drive and start the setup and see what it brings me.

First, your image isn't there.  Second, I promise you you cannot select what drive you want WHS installed on (short of having only one drive connected during installation).  There is no selection screen.  WHS will automatically install itself on the first drive it sees.
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 11:21 PM
  • Thank you very very mutch! Found it! But, I do wan't to know what to do when the windows drive is just toasted.

You pull out the failed primary drive, replace it with a new drive, and do a Server Reinstallation.  The hang up is when you do the Reinstallation, the new primary drive needs to be the first drive WHS sees and sometimes it's not because people have added other drives to the pool and those are seen before the new primary drive, so the Server Reinstallation option doesn't show up.
    That is the situation I simulated was exactly like that. Another question, I was fooling around with the option to use a harddrive as protection for flood or fire but now the home server is in the list of computers.

You mean you were trying to backup one or more shares on your server to an external drive?  If so, seeing your server in the computer list is normal.

I am saving money for that but a DAS or NAS system for all those harddisks is not cheap so thats going to take a while.

Saturday, August 1, 2009 11:28 PM
  • I indeed plugged out the primary drive and then continued with the new one. Well, I tried. What I did in the past:
    Then I added a 2 TB disk and removed the other 1 TB trough te console and unplugged it.
    Now, the primary drive should be considered as crashed (it isn't, but I don't want to use it anymore for the WHS OS, I wan't to use the velocity raptor drive)
    I didn't create any external back-ups because I thought it doesn't mather if the windows drive crashes (since I read or thought to read that you can add the drives in the pool to a new installation and WHS could read out the information from those drives) If there would be a way to create an indentical copy of the primary disk and copy it to the velocity raptor that would be fine. Either way, I want to run the OS from the velocity raptor.
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 11:37 PM

Frankly, you won't get much (if any) benefit by having the VelociRaptor drive in your server as any drive (primary or otherwise) because the bottlenecks will be the network, not the speed of the hard drives.  I would suggest you find a different use for it (a new desktop PC for example).

However, since that's how you want it, you need to make sure your VelociRaptor drive is the first drive WHS sees when it tries to install.  If you have all SATA drives (which is what it sounds like because there are no PATA drives that size), then you need to A) provide the necessary drivers so that all 3 drives show up on the Load Additional Storage Drivers screen and B) make sure your VelociRaptor drive is in the first SATA port on your mobo (probably labeled "port 0" or something similar).
    • Marked as answer by moppentappers Saturday, April 17, 2010 3:48 PM
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 11:47 PM
  • Trying that now, but the WHS took too long to reboot and I have gigabit and also use my WHS as WSUS server.
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 11:55 PM
  • Trying that now, but the WHS took too long to reboot and I have gigabit and also use my WHS as WSUS server.

...which, of course, is unsupported (but I suspect you knew that already  :)  ).

Also, you might need to supply the drivers for the SATA ports a second time during the text portion of the install (after the first reboot, when you need to press F6 to install them).  If so, you will most likely need a floppy drive for it.  (That's also the main reason why you should set your SATA ports to IDE/Legacy mode as well.  You don't need to supply drivers if they are not viewed as SATA drives.)
    Sunday, August 2, 2009 12:04 AM
  • I actually have a spare floppy drive but no floppy. I do have 2 driver CD's and an external optical drive and a CD with drivers. There was no floppy in the mainboard box
    Sunday, August 2, 2009 12:09 AM
  • I would have treated it as a failed primary hard drive.  I would have swapped out the old primary drive with the new one and done a Server Reinstallation (which would keep the data in your storage pool in tact).  (Frankly, I'm surprised Ken suggested a New Installation.  Ken, care to clarify why you said that?  I know you normally wouldn't have.)
    The OP seemed to be speaking of a single drive server with a hosed OS that he wanted to replace. In that situation, a new installation followed by copying the files from the shares would be the only option.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, August 3, 2009 7:13 PM