Reinstalling the system with only Upgrade version disk available RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have faced a rather daunting task of reformatting the main hard drive and reloading WIndows XP Home OS on it due to a plethora of legacy applications from the past WinME op system. The issue is I have only an upgrade version of Windows XP. If I have to wipe everything out would I have to buy a complete version of the XP system?

Pls help

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 7:03 PM

Answers

• In order to perform a "clean install" of Window XP using the upgrade version, you'll need a qualifying Windows 98/ME CD to insert in the CD drive when requested to do.  Otherwise, you will a "Full Version" of Windows XP in order to complete the installation.

See the detailed instructions here:

Clean Install Windows XP
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 7:34 PM

All replies

• In order to perform a "clean install" of Window XP using the upgrade version, you'll need a qualifying Windows 98/ME CD to insert in the CD drive when requested to do.  Otherwise, you will a "Full Version" of Windows XP in order to complete the installation.

See the detailed instructions here:

Clean Install Windows XP

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 7:34 PM
  • If I got Window 98 SE Chinese version in my computer, could I upgrade with Window XP upgrade English version?

Cheers,

Jie831

Tuesday, September 5, 2006 11:07 AM
  •  jie831 wrote:

If I got Window 98 SE Chinese version in my computer, could I upgrade with Window XP upgrade English version?

Cheers,

Jie831

No.  You need an "English version" of the qualifying Microsoft Windows CD.

Tuesday, September 5, 2006 1:38 PM
  • As I got Window XP professional edition in my Laptop, however I don't like it and I'd like to install Window Home edition instead of, and also keep the files I did with Window XP professional edition. Is it possible?

Cheers,

Jie831

Friday, September 15, 2006 10:08 AM
  • In order to return to Windows XP Home Edition after upgrading to Windows XP Professional, a "clean install" of Windows XP Home Edition would be required.

Clean Install Windows XP

Friday, September 15, 2006 2:05 PM
  • Clean installing means formating the driver first, and the files will lost afterwards, isn't it?

jie83`

Sunday, September 17, 2006 7:57 AM
  • Clean installing means formating the driver first, and the files will lost afterwards, isn't it?

jie831

Sunday, September 17, 2006 7:59 AM
  • hi

i have a windows xp full cd. At present i have a laptop that has xp chunese. can i use my full cd to clean install the eng xp onto the laptop with the chinese xp. i have a dell d620. how can i do this. reply to me on dhiveng@mweb.co.za

thanks dhiveen

Thursday, October 19, 2006 4:22 PM