Problem with SLS & WGA RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I installed Windows Vista Ultimate on my MacBook Pro using BootCamp and it was working fine for more than 8 months.
    I recently upgraded my MBP from 2GB RAM to 4GB, and changed the HDD from 200GB to 500GB.
    To backup my BootCamp I used "winclone" (http://twocanoes.com/winclone/) which was able to restore my Windows Vista back to how it was with no issues.

I tried installing UniBlue Registry Booster (http://www1.uniblue.com/pc/rb/google/brand/index.html) which was only for tst drive. Run it for some time, and then I restored my Wondows again using WinClone with no issues, but I sudenly found that my Control Panel shows no contents, and I can't run Windows Update.

Many forums suggested to validate my windows which eventually failed saying: "This copy of Windows did not pass genuine validation".

I tried to reactivate windows by running "slui 04" which gave me: Windows Activation error. Error Code: 0x80070426

I also read that I need to restart SLS manually, which didn't work in my case and gave me the folowing error:
    "System error 5 has occured.
    Access is denied"

The last option was to install WGA Diagnostic tool, and paste my results here.. which is what I'm doing now.

Anyone can help me get this fixed?

Below is my results in WGADT:

<quote>
    Diagnostic Report (1.9.0006.1):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0
    Online Validation Code: 0x80070426
    Cached Validation Code: N/A, hr = 0x80070426
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-HYFKG-FHTGQ-8MTFG
    Windows Product Key Hash: mixeYPJRXJlWMITpKk2mZ7QImiU=
    Windows Product ID: 89580-006-1570384-71403
    Windows Product ID Type: 5
    Windows License Type: Retail
    Windows OS version: 6.0.6001.2.00010100.1.0.001
    ID: {ACAA1A46-E84A-41A6-9EC3-8A5D142D2256}(1)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.9.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: Windows Vista (TM) Ultimate
    Architecture: 0x00000000
    Build lab: 6001.vistasp1_gdr.090302-1506
    TTS Error:
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: 6.0.6002.16398

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    File Exists: No
    Version: 1.7.105.35
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 100
    Version: 1.7.105.35
    WGATray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    Microsoft Office Ultimate 2007 - 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.7.111.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-364-80041010_025D1FF3-229-80041010_025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-517-80040154_025D1FF3-237-80040154_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-244-80070002_025D1FF3-258-3

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{ACAA1A46-E84A-41A6-9EC3-8A5D142D2256}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0006.1</Version><OS>6.0.6001.2.00010100.1.0.001</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-8MTFG</PKey><PID>89580-006-1570384-71403</PID><PIDType>5</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-4078309094-155141665-3877556283</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Apple Inc.</Manufacturer><Model>MacBookPro4,1</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Apple Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>   MBP41.88Z.00C1.B03.0802271651</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20080227000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>5B323507018400F8</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Arabian Standard Time(GMT+04:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.7.105.35"/><File Name="OGAAddin.dll" Version="1.7.105.35"/><File Name="OGAVerify.exe" Version="1.7.105.35"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91120000-002E-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Ultimate 2007</Name><Ver>12</Ver><Val>567547723747710</Val><Hash>ty5X3E0I7zPovbOV/79F0L92kmA=</Hash><Pid>81608-904-2121242-65377</Pid><PidType>1</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="15" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="16" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="18" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="19" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="1A" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="1B" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="44" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="A1" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="BA" Version="12" Result="100"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Spsys.log Content: 0x80070002

Licensing Data-->
    Software Licensing service is not running.

HWID Data-->
    HWID Hash Current: OAAAAAEABAABAAEAAQABAAAABAABAAEAeqg4aZxl6L4qO0aD/JBcZNab8vQarQdWDjrw2KxWRso=

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    BIOS valid for OA 2.0: yes, but no SLIC table
    Windows marker version: N/A
    OEMID and OEMTableID Consistent: N/A
    BIOS Information:
      ACPI Table Name OEMID Value OEMTableID Value
      APIC   APPLE   Apple00
      FACP   APPLE   Apple00
      HPET   APPLE   Apple00
      MCFG   APPLE   Apple00
      ASF!   APPLE   Apple00
      SBST   APPLE   Apple00
      ECDT   APPLE   Apple00
      SSDT   APPLE  CpuPm
      SSDT   APPLE  CpuPm
      SSDT   APPLE  CpuPm
      SSDT   APPLE  CpuPm
      SSDT   APPLE  CpuPm
    </quote>

Wednesday, April 15, 2009 3:07 PM

Answers

• Hello Rafeds,

I don't, currently, know how to fix your issue.  I do, however, have some options for you (and their Pros and Cons).  But first some background on the issue. 

We are seeing more of the "The Software Licensing Service has stopped (and won't restart)" issue recently. Although the Software Licensing Service, itself, is part of the WGA sub-system, the process for starting and stopping services is a Core Vista system and would normally be supported by Vista Support. However this issue is affecting the Genuine status of our users, I would be nice to get to the bottom of why this is happening.

We have found that we can categorize this into sub-issues by the error message the user gets when he/she tries to restart the Service. We currently know the reason (and the fix) for the "System Error 3" and "System Error 2" types, but we do not have much information on your "System Error 5" type.

This brings me to the options I mentioned.

1) You can create a (no cost) Service Request (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52029), and work (by email) with a WGA Support Engineer to troubleshoot the issue. The goals of this option would be to first, find out as much information on this variation of the issue, and then, try to fix the issue on your computer.

Pro: You would be helping us understand and develop a fix for this issue.
    Con: It will, most likely, take longer to finally resolve you issue, then the other options.

2) You can go to http://support.microsoft.com and contact Vista support for assistance. The goal of this option would be solely to resolve your issue.

Pro: Probably faster resolution then option 1). Hopefully resolution would not involve reinstalling Vista.
    Con: Since you are using a Retail copy of Vista, you may still be under the Free Suport period, but if the no-cost support period has expired, any support they provided would, most likely, be paid support.

3) You could reinstall Vista. The goal of this option is to get you resolved as quickly as possible.

Pro: Fastest resolution
    Con: Having to backup all your importent files, reinstalling all your applications, resetting all your setting back to the way you want them and so on.

If you decide on Option 1, thank you for helping us get a handle on this issue.

If you decide on one of the other options, good luck and please accept my apologies for me not being able to resolve the issue for you.

Thank you,
    Darin MS

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own. If any post fixes your issue, please vote the post as Helpful. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers.
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, April 15, 2009 9:45 PM
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 9:44 PM
  • well, I can share few more unusual behaviors with you.. :)

I tried restoring another Boot Camp backup which was taken with "winclone" (http://twocanoes.com/winclone/ ) before installing UniBlue Registry Booster (http://www1.uniblue.com/pc/rb/google/brand/index.html ).. and found out that everything is back to normal. WGA shows that my Windows is Genuine and everything is running as it should be. But the sad part is that this backup was taken 15 days ago which means all of files and programs are missing in this restore.

So, I had to choose either to have a full functional Windows Vista, and reinstall missing applications, or have a restricted windows with all my files and software. So, I actually have a choice to fix my windows that way :)

Now here's even a more weird behavior:
    I also run VMWare Fusion on my MBP, and one of the good features that Fusion has is the ability to run Boot Camp as a virtual machine.
    Now, when I run BootCamp which has Windows Vista on Fusion, I get my Windows running with all functionality (Control panel shows, and windows updates fine). Running the same Windows Vista on Boot Camp directly gets it to go in RFM (but as I mentioned only Control panel is blank).

Another test I ran made Windows in Boot Camp which is causing the problem to run fine in FFM (Full Functionality Mode)... I ran Windows (BootCamp) using Fusion on my MBP, and opened Control Panel. Then I shut down my windows (having the "remember last folders/session" ticked). Then I shut down MAC OSX and ran Windows on BootCamp and amazingly I had Control Panel running fine. Of course, I can't open it again after closing that window because it will show it empty.

Tried validating my windows and got the "did not pass genuine validation" error.

It seems weird how the same Windows installation thinks it's Genuine in some cases and then again it shows non-genuine "behavoirs".

Bottom line, I have few option to revert back to the best mode of windows. But wanted to find a straight forward solution to what I'm facing. Assuming everything else that I've installed on my windows vista was fine.. the application that caused the problem should be UniBlue Registry Booster (http://www1.uniblue.com/pc/rb/google/brand/index.html ). So I won't recommend it with Vista as it manipulates with your registry in a non-safe way!

• Edited by Rafeds Sunday, April 19, 2009 1:48 PM corrections
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, April 21, 2009 5:50 PM
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 1:47 PM

All replies

• Hello Rafeds,

I don't, currently, know how to fix your issue.  I do, however, have some options for you (and their Pros and Cons).  But first some background on the issue. 

We are seeing more of the "The Software Licensing Service has stopped (and won't restart)" issue recently. Although the Software Licensing Service, itself, is part of the WGA sub-system, the process for starting and stopping services is a Core Vista system and would normally be supported by Vista Support. However this issue is affecting the Genuine status of our users, I would be nice to get to the bottom of why this is happening.

We have found that we can categorize this into sub-issues by the error message the user gets when he/she tries to restart the Service. We currently know the reason (and the fix) for the "System Error 3" and "System Error 2" types, but we do not have much information on your "System Error 5" type.

This brings me to the options I mentioned.

1) You can create a (no cost) Service Request (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52029), and work (by email) with a WGA Support Engineer to troubleshoot the issue. The goals of this option would be to first, find out as much information on this variation of the issue, and then, try to fix the issue on your computer.

Pro: You would be helping us understand and develop a fix for this issue.
    Con: It will, most likely, take longer to finally resolve you issue, then the other options.

2) You can go to http://support.microsoft.com and contact Vista support for assistance. The goal of this option would be solely to resolve your issue.

Pro: Probably faster resolution then option 1). Hopefully resolution would not involve reinstalling Vista.
    Con: Since you are using a Retail copy of Vista, you may still be under the Free Suport period, but if the no-cost support period has expired, any support they provided would, most likely, be paid support.

3) You could reinstall Vista. The goal of this option is to get you resolved as quickly as possible.

Pro: Fastest resolution
    Con: Having to backup all your importent files, reinstalling all your applications, resetting all your setting back to the way you want them and so on.

If you decide on Option 1, thank you for helping us get a handle on this issue.

If you decide on one of the other options, good luck and please accept my apologies for me not being able to resolve the issue for you.

Thank you,
    Darin MS

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own. If any post fixes your issue, please vote the post as Helpful. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers.
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, April 15, 2009 9:45 PM
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 9:44 PM
  • Thanks Darin for your reply. Unfortunately, 3 is not an option as I won't go through the re-installation process.

I'll create a service request and see if that would help both sides.

The good part is that my Windows is working fine, and have no big issues rather than the disappearing of Control Panel contents and not being able to update. So I'm in no hurry for the meantime :)

Thanks again!
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 10:13 AM
  • Hi Rafeds,

"The good part is that my Windows is working fine, and have no big issues rather than the disappearing of Control Panel contents and not being able to update"

Wow, that's unusual, normally this type of issue would cause Vista to go into (RFM) Reduced Functionality Mode (black background, no taskbar, no start button and so on).  In this case, I'm glad you haven't been subjected to RFM (it's not fun), but just to set your expectation, RFM is normal so it could eventually happen.

Good Luck,
    Darin MS
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 8:40 PM
  • well, I can share few more unusual behaviors with you.. :)

I tried restoring another Boot Camp backup which was taken with "winclone" (http://twocanoes.com/winclone/ ) before installing UniBlue Registry Booster (http://www1.uniblue.com/pc/rb/google/brand/index.html ).. and found out that everything is back to normal. WGA shows that my Windows is Genuine and everything is running as it should be. But the sad part is that this backup was taken 15 days ago which means all of files and programs are missing in this restore.

So, I had to choose either to have a full functional Windows Vista, and reinstall missing applications, or have a restricted windows with all my files and software. So, I actually have a choice to fix my windows that way :)

Now here's even a more weird behavior:
    I also run VMWare Fusion on my MBP, and one of the good features that Fusion has is the ability to run Boot Camp as a virtual machine.
    Now, when I run BootCamp which has Windows Vista on Fusion, I get my Windows running with all functionality (Control panel shows, and windows updates fine). Running the same Windows Vista on Boot Camp directly gets it to go in RFM (but as I mentioned only Control panel is blank).

Another test I ran made Windows in Boot Camp which is causing the problem to run fine in FFM (Full Functionality Mode)... I ran Windows (BootCamp) using Fusion on my MBP, and opened Control Panel. Then I shut down my windows (having the "remember last folders/session" ticked). Then I shut down MAC OSX and ran Windows on BootCamp and amazingly I had Control Panel running fine. Of course, I can't open it again after closing that window because it will show it empty.

Tried validating my windows and got the "did not pass genuine validation" error.

It seems weird how the same Windows installation thinks it's Genuine in some cases and then again it shows non-genuine "behavoirs".

Bottom line, I have few option to revert back to the best mode of windows. But wanted to find a straight forward solution to what I'm facing. Assuming everything else that I've installed on my windows vista was fine.. the application that caused the problem should be UniBlue Registry Booster (http://www1.uniblue.com/pc/rb/google/brand/index.html ). So I won't recommend it with Vista as it manipulates with your registry in a non-safe way!

• Edited by Rafeds Sunday, April 19, 2009 1:48 PM corrections
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, April 21, 2009 5:50 PM
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 1:47 PM