Copy Data files using CD RW RRS feed

• Question

• I bought a new PC (on Feb 7th) with Win Vista Basic. I have never been ble to copy/burn files to any form of RW disk.

I have formatted the disc to 'Live' and the process begins and continues but does not stop. I cannot end the process of formatting and cannot even shut down the PC.

I usually end up using Cntrl+alt+del to take me to task manager to try and end all processes because after an hour of trying to copy a file that is no bigger than 3.5mb I am very frustrated and want out!

Usually even the task manager 'end process' will not work and the only way I can end anything is to switch off pc at the wall plug - I know this is not good. What can I do?

I can copy files to CD R ok, but I need to be able to change/update/replace the files on the disk regularly and I can't. Why doesn't any RW disc work properly?

The original installation of Win Vista did not go well. Should I go back to the retailer who sold me the PC, (I don't want to pay for repairs to a system that did not work properly in first place).

Or can anyone tell me if I am doing something wrong?  I have tried all kinds of disks and ended up tossing them in the bin because I cannot change the files on them, or they simply tell me they are read only when I have formatted the disc to live etc.............

Thursday, April 19, 2007 1:31 PM

Answers

• Hi Burmag_321,

This forum is for Genuine Offers Eligibility questions. I recommend that you open a support incident at www.support.microsoft.com for assistance with this issue.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or comments.

Thank you,

Jenifer

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 8:19 PM

All replies

• Burmag_321,

It's a long shot, but you might want to look up the specific model of CD-RW drive that you have at that CD-RW manufacturer's web site to see if RW writing or Vista compatibility is a known problem; if so, there may be a firmware update that addresses the problem.

You may want to search the Vista community pages for more assistance:  http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.mspx

Thursday, April 19, 2007 8:42 PM
  • Thank you for your help, I will follow that up
    Friday, April 20, 2007 12:02 PM
  •  Burmag_321 wrote:

I bought a new PC (on Feb 7th) with Win Vista Basic. I have never been ble to copy/burn files to any form of RW disk.

I have formatted the disc to 'Live' and the process begins and continues but does not stop. I cannot end the process of formatting and cannot even shut down the PC.

I usually end up using Cntrl+alt+del to take me to task manager to try and end all processes because after an hour of trying to copy a file that is no bigger than 3.5mb I am very frustrated and want out!

Usually even the task manager 'end process' will not work and the only way I can end anything is to switch off pc at the wall plug - I know this is not good. What can I do?

I can copy files to CD R ok, but I need to be able to change/update/replace the files on the disk regularly and I can't. Why doesn't any RW disc work properly?

The original installation of Win Vista did not go well. Should I go back to the retailer who sold me the PC, (I don't want to pay for repairs to a system that did not work properly in first place).

Or can anyone tell me if I am doing something wrong?  I have tried all kinds of disks and ended up tossing them in the bin because I cannot change the files on them, or they simply tell me they are read only when I have formatted the disc to live etc.............

Saturday, April 21, 2007 4:20 AM
  • I am sorry, but I do not understand this reply.

I have registered online for Win Vista and as far as I know its validated.

I may be a bit IT illiterate, so could you please explain further as I am STILL having problems trying to coppy files to CD RW.

Thank you

Monday, April 23, 2007 12:13 PM
  • Hi Burmag_321,

This forum is for Genuine Offers Eligibility questions. I recommend that you open a support incident at www.support.microsoft.com for assistance with this issue.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or comments.

Thank you,

Jenifer

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 8:19 PM