Server 2008 License Deactivation? RRS feed

• Question

• I am wondering if there is a deactivation process for Server 2008 licenses.  I have a test server that I have finished testing with and would like to wipe it and rebuild it from the ground up into the production environment.  I want to activate it with the same license.  Any process to go through to make sure the key will allow me to reactivate it with server having a different name in a different domain and witha different IP address?

Friday, July 24, 2009 2:50 PM

Answers

• Hello SCCRESA,

I normally only deal with consumer level Windows, but as far as I understand, there is no Deactivation process and as long as you have a Valid license, and having a different name, domain and/or different IP address should not matter. If the activation process is simillare to Vista and Windows 7, you may have to Reactivate by Phone. But that is usually only required if you reactivated a number of times and usually happens after making a significant hardware change.

I recommend asking your question in the Windows Server TechCenter http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsserver for more firm information.

Sorry I couldn't be more help,
    Darin MS
    Friday, July 24, 2009 7:26 PM