off topic - Windows will not start up! Please help! RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello!

So my Windows XP computer (Intel Pentium III processor 733 EB MHz) will not start up. It turns on, then says this:

Sorry for the inconvience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent software or hardware change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked. (My keyboard mysteriously doesn't work during this screen, so Start Windows Normally is my only choice.)

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally.

Safe Mode
    Safe Mode with Networking
    Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Know Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)

Start Windows Normally (this is highlighted)

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice (But my keys won't move, the num lock, scroll lock, caps lock lights don't come up until after this screen passes).

Then it goes to the loading screen where it says Windows XP Professional and the loading bar is under it.

Then the screen turns blue and says this:

STOP: c0000218 {Registry File Failure} The registry cannot load the hive (file): 

\SystemRoot\System32\Config\Software

or its log or alternate. It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

Then it begins to dump physical memory to disk: 100

Then "Contact your system administrator for assistance or techincal support for further assistance"

Then it restarts and does this all over again! Its done it about 100 times. Should I shut it off? Should I go into the setup menu(My keyboard works for this)? Please help me! I'm so lost.
    Friday, April 11, 2008 3:36 AM

All replies