Hub PC not knowing what is going on. RRS feed

• Question

• My hub PC (Computer A) continues to compalin about one of the others (Computer B) not having the correct updates long after that is no longer the fact.  That is that the PC that it is complaining about ("B") has a nice Green 1 on it and is happy while the HUB PC ("A") still has an orange 1 and says that ("B") needs to install updates.  Not a major deal but irritating. 

Computes A, B, and C are all on a LAN 10-100 Ethernet in the same workgroup.

Sunday, June 15, 2008 2:35 PM

Answers

• There have been a number of reports of this problem, but no solution has been offered that is absolute. Some have reported success with reinstalling OneCare on the client and/or the hub PC. Others have reported that this makes no difference. The best that I can offer is to suggest that you contact support:

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, June 16, 2008 6:39 PM
  • You're welcome, Robert. Personally, if I were experiencing the problem, I'd probably demote the hub PC and stop using the Hub/Circle functionality. :-) When I see a red system tray OneCare icon on the hub, I need to stop everything until I resolve it! <g>

Yes, there have been a few threads on the topic - one remains "unanswered" as there is no definitive cause to be seen yet.

-steve

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 5:51 PM

All replies

• There have been a number of reports of this problem, but no solution has been offered that is absolute. Some have reported success with reinstalling OneCare on the client and/or the hub PC. Others have reported that this makes no difference. The best that I can offer is to suggest that you contact support:

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, June 16, 2008 6:39 PM
  • Thank You Steve. 

This is, as I indicated more of an annoyance than a real problem.  The initial complaint that the Hub had was that the non-hub (B) needed updates.  Once the updates were done, on the Second Reboot, the hub finally recognized that (B) was up to date and so was happily displaying the Green 1.

I can see how this might happen depending on when the check is made across the ethernet since on the first reboot, the installation was not complete until after the reboot was complete.

I think that I will just put up with the suggishness of it rather than complain to support as I can imagine that it would introduce periodic probes from the HUB to determine status.

Again Steve, Thank You.  The information you passed along (that there are a number of these reports) makes me fell much better that this is something that is tollerable rather than a bug with my installation.

Kind Regards

Robert Taylor

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 1:42 AM
  • You're welcome, Robert. Personally, if I were experiencing the problem, I'd probably demote the hub PC and stop using the Hub/Circle functionality. :-) When I see a red system tray OneCare icon on the hub, I need to stop everything until I resolve it! <g>

Yes, there have been a few threads on the topic - one remains "unanswered" as there is no definitive cause to be seen yet.

-steve

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 5:51 PM
  • Oh, that's an idea.  I was not aware you could "demote" the hub and thus have 3 PCs in your circle, but no single "hub" computer.  That would stop all the anoying notices!  Thanks.

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 1:28 PM
  • Yep. You can have no hub, or all PCs can be hubs, or any combination of hub/not hub.

-steve

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 3:22 PM