Windows 7 product key invalid on reinstall RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

I purchased Windows 7 Home Premium late last year and was happily using it on my 3-yr old laptop. However, two weeks ago Windows started giving me messages about imminent hard drive failure and asked me to create a backup and get a new hard drive. I created a backup on 3 DVDs and purchased a new hard drive. I installed the hard drive this morning and tried switching on my laptop with part 1 of the 3-DVD set inserted--nothing happened. So I took out the Windows 7 DVD and did a clean install. However, when I enter the product key, it keeps coming back as "Invalid". Any ideas on what could be happening? Is it because I already installed it on the old hard drive? But it's the SAME COMPUTER! Any thoughts on what is wrong or what I should be doing? Any guidance is much appreciated.

Thank you.

Monday, August 9, 2010 1:30 AM

Answers

• Hello shhshh,

If your W7HP is an Upgrade version (rather than a full retail version), you must install the original Operating System onto the computer's new hard disk drive, then run the upgrade to W7 from within the original OS.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    • Proposed as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, August 10, 2010 6:47 PM
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, August 11, 2010 6:44 PM
    Monday, August 9, 2010 3:58 AM

All replies

• Hello everyone,

I purchased Windows 7 Home Premium late last year and was happily using it on my 3-yr old laptop. However, two weeks ago Windows started giving me messages about imminent hard drive failure and asked me to create a backup and get a new hard drive. I created a backup on 3 DVDs and purchased a new hard drive. I installed the hard drive this morning and tried switching on my laptop with part 1 of the 3-DVD set inserted--nothing happened. So I took out the Windows 7 DVD and did a clean install. However, when I enter the product key, it keeps coming back as "Invalid". Any ideas on what could be happening? Is it because I already installed it on the old hard drive? But it's the SAME COMPUTER! Any thoughts on what is wrong or what I should be doing? Any guidance is much appreciated.

Thank you.

You need to download and run the MGA Diagnostic program, listed at the top of the forum so that we can see exactly what is going on.  Run the program, click Copy, come back here and reply and then paste the results here.

Monday, August 9, 2010 1:59 AM
  • Hello shhshh,

If your W7HP is an Upgrade version (rather than a full retail version), you must install the original Operating System onto the computer's new hard disk drive, then run the upgrade to W7 from within the original OS.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    • Proposed as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, August 10, 2010 6:47 PM
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, August 11, 2010 6:44 PM
    Monday, August 9, 2010 3:58 AM