none
Time on Outage notices not in UTC! RRS feed

• Question

• /rant/ Please DO NOT use local times when posting outage notices.  The majority of your users are from outside the US.  To work out when an outage is gonna occur, I first have to find out what the local time difference is from UTC, add that to my local time difference from UTC, then work out the difference.  If you posted your outage notices in UTC (which is good practise for any international forum BTW.....), then I'd be able to do it quickly, instead of wasting time hunting down what the difference is between PDT and UTC, before I can then work out when it's gonna happen in my local time. /end rant/
    Friday, October 16, 2009 4:00 AM

All replies

• UTC is not really used outside of systems work, at that would likely confuse more people. Even in the US, we have 5 time zones, yet it is common practice to give local time with the timezone.

Friday, October 16, 2009 4:46 PM
  • LockedPlease use Universal Time when making announcements

• Zeus76Users MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsThursday, April 16, 2009 8:53:14 AM
      Helpful Votes0 votes
      Hi Microsoft,
      When you make announcements like today's :"The Social platform sites will be undergoing system maintenance for a few minutes, starting at 4 PM (PDT) Thursday, April 16. This should not result in downtime, but you may experience momentary outages." do use Universal Time instead of Pacific Daytime.

This may come as a scoop for you folks, but there is a whole planet represented on these forums, not just americans. It's a bit of a pita to calculate that sort of thing when you don't live exactly on the other side of the earth or in the USA.

Regards

Rem

All Replies

• Anthony_MannMSFTUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsFriday, April 17, 2009 7:49:50 PM
      Helpful Votes0 votes
      One final note on this thread...

I did submit a feature request to make the time zone configurable per user. I'm not sure if that will get implemented, but we'll see...

-Tony
      Windows Client IT Pro Audience Manager for Web Forums

Here are the first and last posts in the (defunct) thread I linked above.

Now come on Carey.  You didn't delete this post of mine.

I'm going to eat some food now.  When I get back, I want to see that you've completed what you started.

Monday, November 23, 2009 7:32 AM