none
Using the HPC Pack IaaS Deployment script with custom image for the compute nodes

Question

• Hello,

We are creating HPC clusters residing entirely on Azure using the HPC Pack IaaS Deployment script 4.5.0. As the compute nodes all have to run third-party software, I went to the Azure portal, installed them on a compute node and then captured the corresponding VM image by following the procedure detailed in Microsoft Azure blog Capture an image of an Azure Windows virtual machine created with the classic deployment model. After the procedure, I can see that the newly created image is listed in the Virtual Machines/Images page, with status Available.

My intention was then to use that image in the HPC Pack IaaS configuration file as explained in the Manual.rtf Help file which is part of the HPC Pack IaaS Deployment script 4.5.0, namely by inserting the following statement in the <ComputeNodes> section:

<ImageName HPCPackInstalled="true">MyImageName</ImageName>

where MyImageName is the name of the image as listed in the Virtual Machines/Images Portal page. However, after starting the HPC Pack IaaS script, the following error is encountered:

Error: The HPC cluster deployment failed: [CheckComputeNodes] The image MyImageName does not exist
    At C:\Temp\HPCIaaSClusterUtils.ps1:1175 char:9

I would greatly appreciate knowing how I could work around this problem.

Thank you.

• Edited by MarcSim Saturday, January 16, 2016 2:17 PM
    Saturday, January 16, 2016 2:13 PM

Answers

• Hello MarcSim,

Currently, the captured image can only be used in the same location. i.e. you cannot deploy compute nodes in another location with the captured image. Can you check if the location in your configuration file is same with the location of the custom image?

You can use command "Get-AzureVMImage -ImageName MyImageName" to check the location of your image.

• Marked as answer by MarcSim Monday, January 18, 2016 7:07 PM
    Monday, January 18, 2016 3:37 AM

All replies

• Hello MarcSim,

Currently, the captured image can only be used in the same location. i.e. you cannot deploy compute nodes in another location with the captured image. Can you check if the location in your configuration file is same with the location of the custom image?

You can use command "Get-AzureVMImage -ImageName MyImageName" to check the location of your image.

• Marked as answer by MarcSim Monday, January 18, 2016 7:07 PM
    Monday, January 18, 2016 3:37 AM
  • Can you run the command as below to check whether you can get any VM image?

Get-AzureVMImage | {$_.ImageName -eq "MyImageName"}

• Marked as answer by MarcSim Monday, January 18, 2016 7:06 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by MarcSim Monday, January 18, 2016 7:07 PM
    Monday, January 18, 2016 3:50 AM
  • Hello Sunbin Zhu,

Thank you very much for your suggestions, which made me realize that I used the incorrect name for the VM image. Indeed, instead of using the name of the image as listed in the Virtual Machines/Images Portal page, as stated in my initial post, I used the name of the associated vhds, which includes an additional string (suffix) in the form "-os-YYYY-MM-DD". Removing that suffix allowed the HPC Pack Deployment script to run flawlessly.

Thanks and Regards,

Marc

Monday, January 18, 2016 7:06 PM