Renaming files on the right side RRS feed

• Question

• I use SyncToy (v1.4) to back up my files. When checking my backups I have found lots of files names have changed. 

They now have SYNCTOYBACKUP and a date and a number attached to the file extension.This has also happened to the file type.

Can you tell me why this has happened and if I can undo this as I need to access these files.

Monday, September 1, 2008 5:00 AM

All replies

• Hi -

Is yout backup over a weak network or do you remember the sync's being aborted when backing these files up? When copying files over to a destination folder, we copy them to this temporary name and then copy them over to their real location and name.

It is possible that these files are only partial copies of the originals because a successful sync should have removed these files. You can try saving these files again with their original file extensions but do not overwrite any exisiting files like this until you can confirm that these are complete/uncorrupted copies of the originals.

And do consider moving to SyncToy 2.0 when you have a chance.

Thanks

Deepa

Wednesday, September 3, 2008 5:04 PM
  • Hi 

I think it is probably our network as I don't recall any problems when running the program. The files were mainly photos and they seem OK once I delete the extra info on the extension.

Thanks for your help.

Friday, September 5, 2008 1:25 PM