Defrag not working RRS feed

• Question

• Using Vista Ultima 64os when doing a tune up in window live one care its not completing the defragemting of the hardrive im all up to date all all my updates  an ran the tune up at least 8 time an even reboot an did the tune up again im also using ie8 beta two  plus one care seem to work ok with ie8 beta two but alot slower

Tuesday, September 2, 2008 7:31 PM

Answers

• One Care only allocates about fifteen minutes to defrag during tune up so if your drive is severely fragmented or if you have a large amount of data it may take a few tune ups to complete defrag. To allow defrag to complete during tune up you might try running a chkdsk and then defragment the drive using the Vista disc defragmenter.

Tuesday, September 2, 2008 10:20 PM
  • J.A.M.

You may want to take manual steps to remove temporary internet files and reset the Internet Explorer settings first before

re-running OneCare tuneup again.  I am not sure if OneCare was installed before or after Internet Explorer was updated? to version 8.0 beta 2.  It's possible that during the installation of IE 8 beta 2 version, there many have been something that got modified.

In the meantime, try to default to the computer's disk cleanup utility or manually remove any temporary internet files.

Remember, OneCare doesn't work well if there are other anti-malware programs installed so you may want to check your add/remove programs and see if there is any anti-malware programs installed and to remove it if necessary.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823302

I hope this helps,

Lori MS

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 5:24 PM

All replies

• One Care only allocates about fifteen minutes to defrag during tune up so if your drive is severely fragmented or if you have a large amount of data it may take a few tune ups to complete defrag. To allow defrag to complete during tune up you might try running a chkdsk and then defragment the drive using the Vista disc defragmenter.

Tuesday, September 2, 2008 10:20 PM
  • i tryed that it still did not work i must of ran tune up at least 10 times i can defrag with the defrag that came built into vista but the defrag in windows onecare does not complete an plus i notice with one care with ie8beta two that one care runs alot slower but i also am aware that there will be major update released  sept 15 for ie8 has well as a new version of msn

Tuesday, September 2, 2008 10:25 PM
  • J.A.M.

You may want to take manual steps to remove temporary internet files and reset the Internet Explorer settings first before

re-running OneCare tuneup again.  I am not sure if OneCare was installed before or after Internet Explorer was updated? to version 8.0 beta 2.  It's possible that during the installation of IE 8 beta 2 version, there many have been something that got modified.

In the meantime, try to default to the computer's disk cleanup utility or manually remove any temporary internet files.

Remember, OneCare doesn't work well if there are other anti-malware programs installed so you may want to check your add/remove programs and see if there is any anti-malware programs installed and to remove it if necessary.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823302

I hope this helps,

Lori MS

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 5:24 PM
  • The build in defragmenter is often time comsuming and incomplete. It may be best to employ a 3rd party defragger, such as Diskeeper. It can defrag in less than 1% free space, automatically, using only idle resources.  You can try 30-day free trialware at www.diskeeper.com

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 6:22 PM
  •  Hillsbrad wrote:
    The build in defragmenter is often time comsuming and incomplete. It may be best to employ a 3rd party defragger, such as Diskeeper. It can defrag in less than 1% free space, automatically, using only idle resources.  You can try 30-day free trialware at www.diskeeper.com

I'm going to be deleting the last two posts you made to threads in the Tune-up topic folder. While your advice about Defrag is valid and Diskeeper and other 3rd party products are often much better than the Windows Defrag program, it isn't a valid answer for users of OneCare as OneCare will still use the built-in Defrag and this can't be changed.

-steve

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 7:10 PM
  • I have had one care for nearly two years now and never has defrag worked on my main "C" drive. Everytime tune up runs it tells me the drive was too severely fragmented and will complete on next tuneup. I can run defrag from system tools and it completes sucessfully. I'll turn around and run tune up again and get the same message evernthough the drive has been sucessfully defragged by system tools. Very annoying. If the tools in one care are not going to work, why are we required to pay for them.

My other concern is the size of updates from Microsoft. I have wireless internet service with a cap of 5 GB a month. I am continually endangered of going over my cap partially due to the enormous size of the Microsoft update downloads. I have my system set to check for updates on a daily basis. As an example, last night the updates totalled 355 Mb. That is ridiculous!! This has become such a problem I have had to disable updates in the middle of my billing cycle.
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 4:42 PM
  • Hi, Will. The Tune-up report is bogus - Defrag in OneCare runs as a timed event. It doesn't matter how fragmented the drive is or not, it starts, runs for a limited time and then stops. A large drive will probably never be fully processed by Defrag in this limited time. It matters not, though, since it really provides only minimal performance enhancements for a modern PC and a normal user. If you spend your days editing gigantic video files, you probably should consider running Defrag manually outside of OneCare for a full drive pass or even use a 3rd party solution.

Yes, the udpates can be pretty big. Office 2007 SP2 and the latest help files released in the past week or so do amount to 300 megs or so. Vista SP2 is on the horizon and it could well be another 250 or so megs. And, the recent .Net roll-up update was also huge. These were all unusual updates coming quite close together. Normally, you shouldn't see so many large updates at once.

Once you stop using OneCare at the end of your subscription, you'd be well served by setting Automatic Updates to notify only and you can then decide what to take based on your usage cap of 5 gigs per month. Right now, that setting will cause OneCare to go yellow.

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 5:02 PM