not genuine RRS feed

• Question

• According to all the links I've gone through, my copy of Windows xp is invalid.  I used the tool to try and change the product key- and that too, is invalid.  I called the retailer where I bought my PC with xp preinstalled and they insist it is a genuine legal and legit copy and suggested I call microsoft to resolve the issue.  Any suggestions?
    Tuesday, May 30, 2006 6:46 PM

Answers

• Sherlock,

Nope, if the recovery CD is an image based system (when you explore the CD it will only have a few smaller files and maybe one or a set of really big ones), it should only take about 1/2 hour to run its course.  If the CD is damaged, try making a copy of it and running the copy, sometimes that works for me on damaged CDs.

If no joy you'll have to get hold of MSD (?) for replacements.

Refresh my memory, was the computer working OK?  Make sure you disconnect nonessential peripherals from the computer, too when reinstalling.

Thursday, June 1, 2006 3:58 AM

All replies

• Please provide the diagnostics output :) It will better help us know where to go,

Thanks!

-Phil Liu

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 6:49 PM
  • thanks, here it is. 

WGA Diagnostic Data (1.5.0530.2):
    --------------------
    Genuine Validation Status: Invalid Product Key
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-9BH3W-73TGP-B77BB
    Windows Product Key Hash: fDsGbH2mwvtl0AuLXDNf1t4Iix8=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-640-4870727-23821
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    Download Center code: NMMXJ7
    ID: d3be3889-66ca-4ba3-9406-46f61910f232
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.530.0.
    Signature Type: Microsoft.
    Validation Diagnostic:

Scan: Complete
    Cryptography: Complete

Office Status: 102
    Office Diagnostics:

Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>d3be3889-66ca-4ba3-9406-46f61910f232</UGUID><Version>1.5.0530.2</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-B77BB</PKey><PID>55274-640-4870727-23821</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1454471165-1708537768-725345543</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>VIA Technologies, Inc.</Manufacturer><Model>P4M266-8235</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>6.00 PG</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="2"/><Date>20041224000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>0C133D570184205D</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Pacific Standard Time(GMT-08:00)</TimeZone></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>102</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91E30409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>9C5497346456BEE</Val><Hash>kqX7jOxDSsMclhs0bb4iX2v9fUc=</Hash><Pid>73931-503-0658054-57540</Pid></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 7:28 PM
  • Sherlock,

Invalid Product Key and Volume Licensing usually means that the copy of XP installed is a Volume Licensing version (aka "corporate") that is meant for use by businesses, schools, govt's etc, organizations with a lot of computers, and the product key used to install this copy was generated by an unathorized key generator and is not a valid key.

Does your computer have a Certificate of Authenticity affixed to it?  If you have a COA, please tell us which XP it is for (Home, Pro, Media Center), and tell us if the black type on the COA reads OEM Software or a computer manufacturer's name.

Do you have any genuine MS XP materials purchased at retail, such as a genuine hologram CD or the COA affixed to the retail box?

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 8:29 PM
  • The COA affixed on the tower reads

Windows XP Home Edition

MSD.

The recovery CDRom is labeled "MSD Windows XP Home w/SP2 Recovery CD-ROM.  Support for these products is provided by MSD."  THis CD does not have a hologram.

I don't know what or who MSD is.

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 9:06 PM
  • Sherlock,

So far you're not in bad shape.

Assuming the COA and CD are genuine, MSD would be the original manufacturer/systembuilder of the computer.  The CD contains what MSD provided to its customers to reinstall the Operating System.  These can take the form of a byte-by-byte "ghost" image of the hard disk as it is delivered to customers, or it can be a slightly modified edition of a normal MS XP CDROM.

The way to tell is to put the CD in the drive an explore it.  If you see only a few files and one BIG file, it is a ghost-style image.  If you see several folders and an i386 folder with about 2,000 files in it, it is a modified MS XP CDROM.

Assuming the MSD CD and COA are valid, to "get legal" using them you would offload any important files (docs, pix, email, saved passwords, personal finance files from Money/Quicken, music, etc etc), then use the MSD CD to do a clean installation or a clean recovery of the computer back to out-of-the-box condition.  If asked for the Product Key, you would use the one on the MSD Home Ed. COA.  Once done, you will be using a genuine copy of XP Home Ed.  Reinstall your programs and reload your valuable files, and you're up and running 100% legal.

If you prefer or need XP Pro (most home users do not), or if you prefer the convenience of just running a tool to "get legal", you would use the Genuine Windows offer to convert your counterfeit installation of XP Pro into a genuine installation for $149 USA (maybe more elsewhere).  However, assuming the MSD CD and COA are legitimate, you don't have to take the GWA for $149, because you would already have a legitimate XP Home.

One clarification:  did you buy this computer new, or was it purchased from a private party or (more likely) a business?

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 9:20 PM
  • I bought it new.
    Tuesday, May 30, 2006 9:22 PM
  • Sherlock,

MSD is the name of the builder/manufacturer, if you bought it new I would have thought you might have recognized it.  Maybe it was one of those reseller situations, or the company has one name for its retail operations and maybe another overarching corporate name for all of its operations...?

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 9:28 PM
  • Sherlock,

I googled MSD computer and got something in Little Current Ontario, they also trade under Cyber Island.......

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 9:43 PM
  • So I tried running the Recovery CD to reinstall, and after about 8 hours the CD was still spinning and nothing was happening.  Finally shut it down. I'm guessing this isn't normal.  Thoughts?
    Wednesday, May 31, 2006 11:53 PM
  • Sherlock,

Nope, if the recovery CD is an image based system (when you explore the CD it will only have a few smaller files and maybe one or a set of really big ones), it should only take about 1/2 hour to run its course.  If the CD is damaged, try making a copy of it and running the copy, sometimes that works for me on damaged CDs.

If no joy you'll have to get hold of MSD (?) for replacements.

Refresh my memory, was the computer working OK?  Make sure you disconnect nonessential peripherals from the computer, too when reinstalling.

Thursday, June 1, 2006 3:58 AM