What Permissions are required to just seea and edit a project site workspace? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have setup a custom Project Server group (which I think is the right option), which I want to be able to view just certain workspaces. So I was going to set permissions via the project centre for the project in question. Now they do get read access, but not edit (Which is what I need!). I can't see a obvious option for what I want.

The users in question need to be able to add/edit/delete any documents or list items in the workspace, weather or not they are assigned to a task. To be honest, they will only really need to use this workspace, although they maybe on the project too.

Hope this makes sence..... This is for Project Server 2010. I don't want to manually set permissions for the workspace, incase they get overwritten when a resource sync occurs....

Regards

Rob

Rob Hardy
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 8:58 PM

Answers

• Category Permissions for category the includes the projects that you want to grant access to:

View Project Summary in Project Center
    View Project Schedule in PWA
    View Project Site

Global Permissions:

Contribute to Project Web App
    Manage Lists in Project Web App
    View Project Center
    View Project Schedule Views

Keep in mind that not all of these are absolutely required depending on how you leverage task assignments. You need to give people access to the Project Center as that is the main navigation point for reaching Project Sites. A secondary launching point is from the detailed views page.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    • Marked as answer by EPM Tester Thursday, April 14, 2011 8:13 AM
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 1:52 PM

All replies

• Rob:

You can use the security model to make this happen, but an easier way to accomplish this is to add the users to the Project Team and then assign them to a dummy task called contribute to project site. When a user is a member of the Project Team, they get read permissions, when they are assigned to a task in the project, they get contribute rights.

Project Server Help BLOG
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 9:09 PM
  • Do you know which permissions you need?

I will potentially use that route, but would be good to know the permisisons needed.

Thanks very much

Rob

Rob Hardy
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 9:50 AM
  • Category Permissions for category the includes the projects that you want to grant access to:

View Project Summary in Project Center
    View Project Schedule in PWA
    View Project Site

Global Permissions:

Contribute to Project Web App
    Manage Lists in Project Web App
    View Project Center
    View Project Schedule Views

Keep in mind that not all of these are absolutely required depending on how you leverage task assignments. You need to give people access to the Project Center as that is the main navigation point for reaching Project Sites. A secondary launching point is from the detailed views page.

Project Server Help BLOG
    • Marked as answer by EPM Tester Thursday, April 14, 2011 8:13 AM
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 1:52 PM
  • Thats great, thanks very much.
    Rob Hardy
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 8:13 AM