Home Server Backup Failure at 36% RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

My Home Server will fail at 36% at every attempt to backup whether manual or scheduled.  The error that is reported on the client is "The backup failed because of a problem with your Windows Home Server Connector software. The System event log contains more details."  This error is always the same.  The Home Sever log states "backup of xxxx has failed" event ID: 262 which doesn't seem to lead to any real solutions.  Running XP SP3 up to date on Dell Inspiron 6400 with wireless connection.  Ran chkdsk on client serveral times and on Home server which has one drive.  I am a Microsoft Partner and have loaded and reloaded the connector software with the disk, download and off the server as well.  Also, when the backup fails I lose internet connection on my laptop, but I can still ping my router.  I release and renew and my internet and Home Server connections are back.  I do not experience the loss of the internet except when my backup fails.  No viruses, malware or spyware.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.........

Saturday, November 6, 2010 12:15 AM

Answers

• I assume you ask about the team so you can get some support. I have to tell you that there is no free support for Windows Home Server except what you get from an OEM, if you buy an OEM server.

As for using a wired connection defeating the purpose, that may be, but it's good test, don't you think? And you won't be able to do a bare metal restore via wireless anyway, unless your wireless network is wide open (and maybe not then).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by TRACC Saturday, November 13, 2010 8:26 PM
    Sunday, November 7, 2010 2:45 AM

All replies

• Try updating the network drivers on your laptop, and try a backup with a wired connection.
    Saturday, November 6, 2010 1:42 PM
  • Hi Ken,

I will try the driver update, but as far as making a wired connection it really defeats the purpose.  Do you know if the WHS team monitors this site and how would I get there attention?

Thanks for your time Ken.....

Saturday, November 6, 2010 10:29 PM
  • I assume you ask about the team so you can get some support. I have to tell you that there is no free support for Windows Home Server except what you get from an OEM, if you buy an OEM server.

As for using a wired connection defeating the purpose, that may be, but it's good test, don't you think? And you won't be able to do a bare metal restore via wireless anyway, unless your wireless network is wide open (and maybe not then).

• Marked as answer by TRACC Saturday, November 13, 2010 8:26 PM
    Sunday, November 7, 2010 2:45 AM