Error code: 0x800704c8 when copying files... RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi Everbody,

I'm not sure if this is in the right place but i've been getting the "Error Code 0x800704c8 - The requested Operation cannot be performed on a file with a user-mapped section open", this occurs when i copy files from one hard disk to the other. I'm using Vista Ultimate with OneCare Beta 2.0.

I think i have found a solution which seems to work. If you go into the OneCare settings and turn off Virus and Spyware monitoring temporarily and then copy the files, it copies the files with no problems.

I guess my question is why would the Virus and Spyware monitoring have such an effect on copying files?? Is this normal??

Hope that what i've mentioned makes sense and helps anyone else that maybe getting this error message.

Regards

Adrian

Sunday, October 14, 2007 3:47 AM

Answers

• Unfortunately, this is a Vista problem that has been reported by users of other antivirus software, too. I'm hoping that this is addressed in the service pack for Vista due out early in 2008.

-steve

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 12:14 AM

All replies

• Unfortunately, this is a Vista problem that has been reported by users of other antivirus software, too. I'm hoping that this is addressed in the service pack for Vista due out early in 2008.

-steve

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 12:14 AM
  • What is the status of this fix? I've been dealing with it for months and am none-too-happy about it. It seems to me a basic usability problem - i.e. I can't walk away from the machine when transferring many files and/or must remember to temporarily disable the firewall which is no good if I have an internet connection open. Also, WILL SP1 take care of the problem or is it just wishful thinking?
    Monday, January 14, 2008 3:14 AM
  • I don't know if it was fixed in SP1, but I believe that there were many changes made to the way file copying was done to make it more efficient.

Disabling antivirus before the copy/move would be the way to avoid the problem, not the firewall.

-steve

Monday, January 14, 2008 6:49 PM
  • I've just recently installed OneCare and I've started to get this problem.  Interestingly enough, I DID NOT have this problem with McAfee or Symantec products on Vista.  As an ISV, I was only trying Live OneCare out to see if I'd recommend this to clients of mine.  Which obviously I won't until this issue gets cleared up.  In my case, I can definitively say this is restricted to OneCare on Vista.  I can't even build a Visual Studio solution with the AV enabled.

Regards,

Jon

Sunday, January 27, 2008 9:43 PM
  • The problem can be caused by any antivirus program, but I can certainly understand your concern since you first encountered it with OneCare. I'm not sure I understand why you can't build a VS solution with the a/v enabled, though. Is it doing large file copies?

-steve

Monday, January 28, 2008 1:47 AM
  • It won't allow copying of the DLL references into the bin folders of the projects, and while I understand that it *can* be caused by any AV program, in my case it's only being caused by Live OneCare.

Monday, January 28, 2008 2:03 AM
  • What happenss if you remove OneCare?

Will Windows firewall be sufficient?

Sunday, April 27, 2008 2:45 PM
  •  Vistadontwork wrote:

What happenss if you remove OneCare?

Will Windows firewall be sufficient?

No, if you remove OneCare, you will still want to have an antivirus product installed. Upon removal of OneCare, you will have the Windows Firewall and Windows Defender on Vista, but neither protects from viruses.

-steve

Monday, April 28, 2008 2:17 PM
  • I used a linux boot disk (ubuntu), located the files and erase them, problem solved.
    Saturday, September 25, 2010 8:28 AM